NOT WORKING..Getting XLA files to work with Excel

  1. #1
    Brett Smith
    Guest

    NOT WORKING..Getting XLA files to work with Excel

    I wrote a program and then saved it as an XLA file in order to use it as an
    Add-In so it can be used for any spreadsheet. For some reason, it is not
    working for me and I thought things should be a whole lot easier. What is
    the problem here and what is a step by step process in order for me to get it
    to work. Somebody please help me because I really need the help. Thanks!

    Brett

  2. #2
    ben
    Guest

    RE: NOT WORKING..Getting XLA files to work with Excel

    could you be a little more specific, what did you write it to do, and what is
    it not doing and what is it doing?

    --
    When you lose your mind, you free your life.
    Ever Notice how we use '' for comments in our posts even if they aren''t

  3. #3
    Brett Smith
    Guest

    RE: NOT WORKING..Getting XLA files to work with Excel

    I wrote a VBA program to format text and then export a txt file with
    information formatted in a certain way. My problem is I tried to install the
    XLA file, i think I did, I saw that I was able to see it on the Add-In list.
    Then I tried to use it on a brand new spreadsheet to test it. Long and
    behold, I cannot use it because I don't know how to find it in order to use
    it. How do I activate it and how do I get it to work without opening up the
    old file that has all the code. This is a REAL PAIN IN THE REAR. This is
    the worst I have seen in usability with Microsoft.

  4. #4
    ben
    Guest

    RE: NOT WORKING..Getting XLA files to work with Excel

    you always have to programm accesibility into your .xla add-ins THEY ARE NOT
    REGULAR WORKBOOKS and you can not access the macros the same way, I reccomend
    going into your add-in programming and adding a liine similar to this
    in the workbook open even

    private sub workbook_open()
    application.onkey "^{j}","MyAddIn.xla!MyMacro"
    end sub
    this will assign your macro to ctl+j

    then in close event
    to restore ctl + j to normal function

    private sub workbook_cancel()
    application.onkey "^{j}",""
    end sub

  5. #5
    Brett Smith
    Guest

    RE: NOT WORKING..Getting XLA files to work with Excel

    Ben,
    So I always have to program functionality into my Excel Add-In in order to
    access it and get it to work? So I don't add any code functionality in the
    new workbook, I have to add code into the XLA right?

  6. #6
    ben
    Guest

    RE: NOT WORKING..Getting XLA files to work with Excel

    sorry workbook close event should look like this

    application.onkey "^{j}",""
    end sub

  7. #7
    ben
    Guest

    RE: NOT WORKING..Getting XLA files to work with Excel

    yes if you add it into the xla you will not have to add it into the brand new
    workbook, that is the point of an add-in

  8. #8
    Brett Smith
    Guest

    RE: NOT WORKING..Getting XLA files to work with Excel

    Ben,
    For some reason when I pressed CTRL + J, it still doesn't work. Do you know
    why it doesn't work? Thanks!

  9. #9
    ben
    Guest

    RE: NOT WORKING..Getting XLA files to work with Excel

    can you e-mail me your add-in and i'll see if i can't take a look at it?

  10. #10

    Re: NOT WORKING..Getting XLA files to work with Excel

    My two cents ...

    1.

    Use the following Sub to discover where to store your xla :

    Sub test()
    MsgBox Application.TemplatesPath
    end sub

    Then one directory above look for an addin folder. Put your add in
    there

    2.

    Once you've stored the addin into the right folder you must register it
    with Excel.

    >From Excel go :

    Tools->Addins

    Check your add in to register it with Excel

    3. I deal with the addin/not same workbook problem by opening a
    template (or a workbook that's going to have the data) and then
    accessing it as a variable

    Sub LoadTemplateOrWorkbook
    Dim book as Workbook
    Set book = Workbooks.Open(Application.TemplatesPath +
    "SomeTemplate.xlt")
    book.Sheets("Somesheet").Visible = True ' Whatever just to show how to
    access a sheeet
    DoYourMacroHavingWorkbookArgument book
    End Sub

  11. #11
    Brett Smith
    Guest

    RE: NOT WORKING..Getting XLA files to work with Excel

    Sure, what is your email address and I will email it to you?

  12. #12
    Brett Smith
    Guest

    Re: NOT WORKING..Getting XLA files to work with Excel

    Below is what I have so far. Can anybody help me to figure out how to get
    this to work on a new spreadsheet? See below for code.

    Sub GetRows()
    Dim FirstCell As Range, LastCell As Range
    On Error Resume Next
    Dim Firstrow As Long, Lastrow As Long
    Dim Wordstring As String
    Dim filePath As String
    Dim I As Integer
    Dim FName As Variant
    Dim Rangecount As Integer
    Dim intresult As Long
    Dim NVariable As String
    Dim MVariable As String
    Dim AVariable As String
    Dim AVARSTRING As String
    Dim FVariable As String
    Dim FVARSTRING As String
    Dim EVariable As String
    Dim EVARSTRING As String
    Dim NandMVariable As String
    Dim NANDMVARSTRING As String

    Call workbook_open

    Kill (filePath = ActiveWorkbook.Path & "\Seqfile.rdf")

    Worksheets.Select

    Call FormatData

    I = 0
    Tried = False
    Tried2 = False

    Wordstring = "$RDFILE 1" & vbCrLf & _
    "$DATM " & Date & " " & Time & vbCrLf & _
    "$RIREG 1" & vbCrLf & _
    "$DTYPE BATCH:CHEMIST" & vbCrLf & _
    "$DATUM REIDHAAJ" & vbCrLf & _
    "$DTYPE BATCH:STRUCT_CMNT" & vbCrLf & _
    "$DATUM [NUCLEIC ACID]" & vbCrLf & _
    "$DTYPE STRUCTURE" & vbCrLf & _
    "$DATUM $MFMT"

    filePath = ActiveWorkbook.Path & "\Seqfile.rdf"
    Open filePath For Output As #1
    Print #1, Wordstring
    Do
    GetCell:
    On Error Resume Next
    Set FirstCell = Application.InputBox("Enter top left data cell - ONE
    cell only ", Type:=8)

    On Error GoTo 0
    If FirstCell Is Nothing Then
    MsgBox "You pressed Cancel!" & IIf(Tried, "AGAIN! Good-bye!", "!")
    If Tried Then Exit Sub
    Tried = True
    GoTo GetCell
    Else
    MsgBox FirstCell.Address
    End If
    Loop Until FirstCell.Count = 1
    Firstrow = FirstCell.Row

    Do
    GetCell2:
    On Error Resume Next
    Set LastCell = Application.InputBox("Enter bottom right data cell - ONE
    cellonly ", Type:=8)
    On Error GoTo 0
    If LastCell Is Nothing Then
    MsgBox "You pressed Cancel!" & IIf(Tried, "AGAIN! Good-Bye!", "!")
    If Tried2 Then Exit Sub
    Tried2 = True
    GoTo GetCell2
    Else
    MsgBox LastCell.Address
    End If
    Loop Until LastCell.Count = 1
    Lastrow = LastCell.Row

    Firstrow = Int(Firstrow)
    Lastrow = Int(Lastrow)

    MsgBox Firstrow & " - " & Lastrow

    Rangecount = Lastrow - Firstrow

    MsgBox Rangecount & " records exported"
    Range(Firstrow & ":" & Lastrow).Select

    For I = Firstrow To Lastrow

    If IsEmpty(Cells(I, "C").Value) Then

    Dim G As Variant
    Dim H As Variant

    'Select Case IsEmpty(Cells(I, "G").Value) Or IsNull(Cells(I,
    "G").Value) 'Cells(I, "G").Value = " "
    If IsEmpty(Cells(I, "N").Value) Or Cells(I, "N").Value = "" Then
    NVariable = ""
    Else: NVariable = Cells(I, "N").Value
    End If

    If IsEmpty(Cells(I, "M").Value) Or Cells(I, "M").Value = "" Then
    MVariable = ""
    Else: MVariable = ""
    End If

    NandMVariable = NVariable + MVariable

    If IsEmpty(NandMVariable) Or NandMVariable = "" Then
    NANDMVARSTRING = ""
    ElseIf (IsEmpty(NVariable) And NVariable = "" And Not
    IsEmpty(MVariable)) Then
    NANDMVARSTRING = "$DATUM " & MVariable & vbCrLf
    ElseIf (IsEmpty(MVariable) And MVariable = "" And Not
    IsEmpty(NVariable)) Then
    NANDMVARSTRING = "$DATUM " & NVariable & vbCrLf
    ElseIf Not IsEmpty(NandMVariable) Then
    NANDMVARSTRING = "$DATUM " & NVariable & "_" & MVariable &
    vbCrLf
    End If

    If IsEmpty(Cells(I, "A").Value) Or Cells(I, "A").Value = "" Then
    AVariable = ""
    Else: AVariable = Cells(I, "A").Value
    End If

    If IsEmpty(AVariable) Or AVariable = "" Then
    AVARSTRING = ""
    Else
    AVARSTRING = "$DATUM siRNA for Gene target: " & AVariable & vbCrLf
    End If

    If IsEmpty(Cells(I, "F").Value) Or Cells(I, "F").Value = "" Then
    FVariable = ""
    Else: FVariable = Cells(I, "F").Value
    End If

    If IsEmpty(FVariable) Or FVariable = "" Then
    FVARSTRING = ""
    Else
    FVARSTRING = "GeneIndex Id: " & FVariable & vbCrLf
    End If

    If IsEmpty(Cells(I, "E").Value) Or Cells(I, "E").Value = "" Then
    EVariable = ""
    Else: EVariable = Cells(I, "E").Value
    End If

    If IsEmpty(EVariable) Or EVariable = "" Then
    EVARSTRING = ""
    Else: EVARSTRING = "Accession number: " & EVariable & vbCrLf
    End If

    Print #1, vbCrLf; " -ISIS- 10310514382D" & vbCrLf & vbCrLf _
    ; " 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0999 v2000" & vbCrLf _
    ; "M END" & vbCrLf _
    ; "$DTYPE BATCH:LAB_JOURNAL" & vbCrLf _
    ; NANDMVARSTRING _
    ; "$DTYPE BATCH:LIN_STRUCT_CODE" & vbCrLf _
    ; "$DATUM N" & vbCrLf _
    ; "$DTYPE BATCH:LIN_STRUCT_DESC" & vbCrLf _
    ; "$DATUM Pool components: Pool1-1; Pool1-2; Pool1-3" &
    vbCrLf _
    ; "$DTYPE BATCH:PRODUCER(1):PRODUCER" & vbCrLf _
    ; "$DATUM " & Cells(I, "R").Value & ";", vbCrLf _
    ; "$DTYPE BATCH:PREP_DESCR" & vbCrLf _
    ; AVARSTRING _
    ; FVARSTRING _
    ; EVARSTRING _
    ; "$DTYPE BATCH:GENERIC_NAME(1):GENERIC_NAME" & vbCrLf _
    ; "$DATUM " & Cells(I, "B").Value & vbCrLf _
    ; "$RIREG " & I - 2 & vbCrLf _
    ; "$DTYPE BATCH:CHEMIST" & vbCrLf _
    ; "$DATUM REIDHAAJ" & vbCrLf _
    ; "$DTYPE BATCH:STRUCT_CMNT" & vbCrLf _
    ; "$DATUM [NUCLEIC ACID]" & vbCrLf _
    ; "$DTYPE STRUCTURE" & vbCrLf _
    ; "$DATUM $MFMT"

    Else

    'Select Case IsEmpty(Cells(I, "H").Value) Or IsNull(Cells(I,
    "H").Value) 'Cells(I, "H").Value = " "

    If IsEmpty(Cells(I, "N").Value) Or Cells(I, "N") = "" Then
    NVariable = ""
    Else: NVariable = Cells(I, "N").Value
    End If

    If IsEmpty(Cells(I, "M").Value) Or Cells(I, "N") = "" Then
    MVariable = ""
    Else: MVariable = Cells(I, "M").Value
    End If

    NandMVariable = NVariable + MVariable

    If IsEmpty(NandMVariable) Or NandMVariable = "" Then
    NANDMVARSTRING = ""
    ElseIf (IsEmpty(NVariable) And NVariable = "" And Not
    IsEmpty(MVariable)) Then
    NANDMVARSTRING = "$DATUM " & MVariable & vbCrLf
    ElseIf (IsEmpty(MVariable) And MVariable = "" And Not
    IsEmpty(NVariable)) Then
    NANDMVARSTRING = "$DATUM " & NVariable & vbCrLf
    ElseIf Not IsEmpty(NandMVariable) Then
    NANDMVARSTRING = "$DATUM " & NVariable & "_" & MVariable &
    vbCrLf
    End If

    If IsEmpty(Cells(I, "A").Value) Or Cells(I, "A").Value = ""
    Then
    AVariable = ""
    Else: AVariable = Cells(I, "A").Value
    End If

    If IsEmpty(AVariable) Then
[...]

    ; "$DATUM Sense Strand: " & Cells(I, "C").Value; ";" & "
    Antisense Strand:" & vbCrLf _
    ; Cells(I, "D").Value & vbCrLf _
    ; "$DTYPE BATCH:PRODUCER(1):PRODUCER" & vbCrLf _
    ; "$DATUM " & Cells(I, "R").Value & vbCrLf _
    ; "$DTYPE BATCH:PREP_DESCR" & vbCrLf _
    ; AVARSTRING _
    ; FVARSTRING _
    ; EVARSTRING _
    ; "$DTYPE BATCH:GENERIC_NAME(1):GENERIC_NAME" & vbCrLf _
    ; "$DATUM " & Cells(I, "B").Value & vbCrLf _
    ; "$RIREG " & I - 2 & vbCrLf _
    ; "$DTYPE BATCH:CHEMIST" & vbCrLf _
    ; "$DATUM REIDHAAJ" & vbCrLf _
    ; "$DTYPE BATCH:STRUCT_CMNT" & vbCrLf _
    ; "$DATUM [NUCLEIC ACID]" & vbCrLf _
    ; "$DTYPE STRUCTURE" & vbCrLf _
    ; "$DATUM $MFMT"

    End If

    Next I

    Close #1

    End Sub

    Sub FormatData()
    Dim wksCurrent As Worksheet
    Dim wksNew As Worksheet
    Dim rngHeadings As Range
    Dim rngCurrent As Range

    Set wksCurrent = ActiveSheet 'Could be any sheet you want
    Set wksNew = Worksheets.Add
    With wksCurrent 'Assume headings are in row 1
    Set rngHeadings = .Range(.Range("A1"), .Cells(1,
    Columns.Count).End(xlToLeft))
    End With
    For Each rngCurrent In rngHeadings
    Select Case rngCurrent.Value
    Case "Gene target" 'Heading This Goes to A
    rngCurrent.EntireColumn.Copy wksNew.Columns("A")
    Case "siRNA name" 'Heading That Goes to B
    rngCurrent.EntireColumn.Copy wksNew.Columns("B")
    Case "Sense strand (5' -> 3')" 'Heading The Other Goes to C
    rngCurrent.EntireColumn.Copy wksNew.Columns("C")
    Case "Antisense strand (5' -> 3')" 'Heading that goes to column D
    rngCurrent.EntireColumn.Copy wksNew.Columns("D")
    Case "Accession number" 'Heading that goes to column E
    rngCurrent.EntireColumn.Copy wksNew.Columns("E")
    Case "GeneIndex ID" 'Heading that goes to column F
    rngCurrent.EntireColumn.Copy wksNew.Columns("F")
    Case "Position in sequence" 'Heading that goes to column G
    rngCurrent.EntireColumn.Copy wksNew.Columns("G")
    Case "CDS" 'Heading that goes to column H
    rngCurrent.EntireColumn.Copy wksNew.Columns("H")
    Case "Distance relative to AUG" 'Heading that goes to column I
    rngCurrent.EntireColumn.Copy wksNew.Columns("I")
    Case "Number of G/C in duplex region" 'Heading that goes to
    column J
    rngCurrent.EntireColumn.Copy wksNew.Columns("J")
    Case "Modification" 'Heading that goes to column K
    rngCurrent.EntireColumn.Copy wksNew.Columns("K")
    Case "Order designation" 'Heading that goes to column L
    rngCurrent.EntireColumn.Copy wksNew.Columns("L")
    Case "Date ordered" 'Heading that goes to column M
    rngCurrent.EntireColumn.Copy wksNew.Columns("M")
    Case "Synthesis designation" 'Heading that goes to column N
    rngCurrent.EntireColumn.Copy wksNew.Columns("N")
    Case "Separate strands or duplex" 'Heading that goes to column O
    rngCurrent.EntireColumn.Copy wksNew.Columns("O")
    Case "Bottom strand overhang matches sense strand sequence"
    'Heading that goes to column P
    rngCurrent.EntireColumn.Copy wksNew.Columns("P")
    Case "Top strand overhang matches antisense strand sequence" '
    Heading that goes to column Q
    rngCurrent.EntireColumn.Copy wksNew.Columns("Q")
    Case "Synthesized by" 'Heading that goes to column R
    rngCurrent.EntireColumn.Copy wksNew.Columns("R")
    Case "Pool components" 'Heading that goes to column S
    rngCurrent.EntireColumn.Copy wksNew.Columns("S")
    Case "Freezer box" 'Heading that goes to column T
    rngCurrent.EntireColumn.Copy wksNew.Columns("T")
    Case "Comments" 'Heading that goes to column U
    rngCurrent.EntireColumn.Copy wksNew.Columns("U")

    End Select
    Next rngCurrent

    Call Workbook_BeforeClose
    End Sub

    Private Sub workbook_open()
    Application.OnKey "^{j}", "MyAddIn.xla!siRNAsequences10"
    End Sub
    'this will assign the macro to ctl+j

    Private Sub Workbook_BeforeClose()
    Application.OnKey "^{j}", ""
    End Sub
    'this will unassign the macro to ctl+j

  13. #13
    Tim Williams
    Guest

    Re: NOT WORKING..Getting XLA files to work with Excel

    What is *not* working as it stands?

    Tim

    news:[email protected]...

  14. #14
    basilio
    Guest

    RE: NOT WORKING..Getting XLA files to work with Excel

    sorry to interfere but if possible I need some more info. How do I assign
    the macros of "myAddIn" to work with another book buttons ??
    thanks
    --
    Basilio