Which folder - good practice?

  1. #1
    Sunbank
    Guest

    Which folder - good practice?

    Hi there

    I have created a set of addins which, via an install procedure, get
    saved in C:\Program Files\MyCompanyName. Registry entries are set
    accordingly.

    I create a custom INI file during the startup of my add-in using Open,
    Get, Put, etc. and use to store path information and othe user
    variables. The INI file location is taken from the ThisWorkbook.Path
    value.

    This works fine on most Office/Windows versions except XP, when the INI
    file Put fails because the user (I guess) does not have write
    permission to C:\Program Files. I do not want to put the INI file into
    the My Documents folder as I believe it would be too vulnerable to
    inquisitive users.

    Does anyone have a suggestion as to what they have found to be good
    practice for add-ins that are likely to be deployed across several
    operating systems that would get around the problem outlined above?

    Many thanks, in advance, for any advice.

    Neil

  2. #2

    Re: Which folder - good practice?

    I don't have a real suggestion...

    But is there a reason you don't want to store that stuff in the registry?

  3. #3
    Sunbank
    Guest

    Re: Which folder - good practice?

    Hi Dave - thanks for your response. The INI file I'm writing is binary
    and is very convenient for storing variant arrays. I also use the
    registry, but typically for text data, so would prefer to continue to
    use the custom INI approach.

    Neil

  4. #4

    Re: Which folder - good practice?

    Ahhh.

    I'd be worried about putting stuff in my documents, too. As a user, I might
    even delete it if I saw it just hanging around.

    Maybe a hidden folder (won't be hidden by all users, though). (or a hidden file

    I would consider putting that file on C:\. Keep it in the open and maybe a .txt
    file that explains why it's there???