compare 2 sheets and extract only new rows

  1. #1
    John
    Guest

    compare 2 sheets and extract only new rows

    Can someone help me please? I have two sheets, one with last months
    data and one with this months new data. I need to find a way to compare
    the two and extract only the rows from the second sheet that do not
    have a matching part number entry in the first sheet. Any help and
    advice would be greatly appreciated.

  2. #2
    Cliff Carson
    Guest

    Re: compare 2 sheets and extract only new rows

    John,
    Can't discern your skill level - if you know VBA I suspect you would not
    find this a hard problem. I will give you the outlines of a VBA solution.
    I would create 2 Dictionary objects, one for each sheet, and I would use the
    part number for the key and Integer arrays for the values. I would put the
    number of the row that referenced the part number into the array. When
    finished processing both sheets, I would examine the arrays in the two
    Dictionary objects for each part number and do whatever you wish if the
    arrays are not identical.

    CC

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    L. Howard Kittle
    Guest

    Re: compare 2 sheets and extract only new rows

    Hi John,

    I know you posted in programming, but here is a formula solution I believe
    will do what you want.

    =IF(COUNTIF(Sheet1!$A$1:$A$6,Sheet2!A1)=0,Sheet2!A1,"")

    Where "Sheet1!$A$1:$A$6" is the old list (sheet1)
    Where "Sheet2!A1" is the beginning of the new list (sheet2)

    Pull formula down as far as the longest list goes. This should return
    values from the new list that are NOT on the old list.

    Copy and paste special > values to a new column to get rid of formulas.
    Select all in new column and sort to get rid of empty cells.

    Howard