FormatConditions(1).Formula1

  1. #1
    Stefi
    Guest

    FormatConditions(1).Formula1

    Hi All,

    It is known that
    ActiveCell.FormatConditions(1).Formula1
    returns the formula as a string.

    How can I ask if this formula fulfils for ActiveCell (or another cell) or not?

    Thanks,
    Stefi

  2. #2
    Stefi
    Guest

    RE: FormatConditions(1).Formula1

    I had an idea: place ActiveCell.FormatConditions(1).Formula1 into an unused
    cell and let XL evaluate it, but it failed because of my using a national
    language version of XL2003 (Hungarian).
    ActiveCell.FormatConditions(1).Formula1 returns the formula in Hungarian
    unlike a normal ActiveCell.Formula that returns the formula translated into
    English. When placing ActiveCell.Formula back into another cell XL
    re-translate it into Hungarian and it works well. But when trying to place
    ActiveCell.FormatConditions(1).Formula1 into an unused cell, XL tries to
    re-translate the Hungarian text (XL expects it to be English) into Hungarian
    and , of course, it fails!

    Any idea?

    Stefi

    „Stefi” ezt *rta:

  3. #3
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: FormatConditions(1).Formula1

    Pardon? What does the question mean?

    Bob Phillips

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Stefi
    Guest

    Re: FormatConditions(1).Formula1

    Hi Bob,

    Sorry for my poor English! I'd like to know wether the formula in
    ActiveCell.FormatConditions(1).Formula1 gives True or False!

    In the meantime I made a solution:

    Function FormCondTF(fcformulaLoc, workcell)
    Range(workcell).FormulaLocal = fcformulaLoc
    FormCondTF = Range(workcell)
    Range(workcell).ClearContents
    End Function

    Answer = FormCondTF(ActiveCell.FormatConditions(1).Formula1, "Z1")

    But I'm still interested in your opinion!

    Regards,
    Stefi

    „Bob Phillips” ezt *rta:

  5. #5
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: FormatConditions(1).Formula1

    Check out Chip Pearson's page on this topic:

    http://www.cpearson.com/excel/CFColors.htm

    For your function,
    Depending on your formula, I am not sure it is a general solution.

    Tom Ogilvy

  6. #6
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: FormatConditions(1).Formula1

    If I understand you correctly, you want to know if a cell is meeting its CF
    conditions. This is problematical if that cell is not active. This is what I
    use

    '---------------------------------------------------------------------
    Public Function IsCFMet(rng As Range) As Boolean
    '---------------------------------------------------------------------
    Dim oFC As FormatCondition
    Dim sF1 As String
    Dim iRow As Long
    Dim iColumn As Long

    Set rng = rng(1, 1)
    If rng.FormatConditions.Count > 0 Then
    For Each oFC In rng.FormatConditions
    If oFC.Type = xlCellValue Then
    Select Case oFC.Operator
    Case xlEqual
    IsCFMet = rng.Value = oFC.Formula1
    Case xlNotEqual
    IsCFMet = rng.Value <> oFC.Formula1
    Case xlGreater
    IsCFMet = rng.Value > oFC.Formula1
    Case xlGreaterEqual
    IsCFMet = rng.Value >= oFC.Formula1
    Case xlLess
    IsCFMet = rng.Value < oFC.Formula1
    Case xlLessEqual
    IsCFMet = rng.Value <= oFC.Formula1
    IsCFMet = (rng.Value >= oFC.Formula1 And _
    rng.Value <= oFC.Formula2)
    Case xlNotBetween
    IsCFMet = (rng.Value < oFC.Formula1 Or _
    rng.Value > oFC.Formula2)
    End Select
    Else
    're-adjust the formula back to the formula that applies
    'to the cell as relative formulae adjust to the activecell
    With Application
    iRow = rng.Row
    iColumn = rng.Column
    sF1 = .Substitute(oFC.Formula1, "ROW()", iRow)
    sF1 = .Substitute(sF1, "COLUMN()", iColumn)
    sF1 = .ConvertFormula(sF1, xlA1, xlR1C1)
    sF1 = .ConvertFormula(sF1, xlR1C1, xlA1, , rng)
    End With
    IsCFMet = rng.Parent.Evaluate(sF1)
    End If
    If IsCFMet Then Exit Function
    Next oFC
    End If 'rng.FormatConditions.Count > 0

    End Function

  7. #7
    Stefi
    Guest

    Re: FormatConditions(1).Formula1

    Thanks Tom,

    I know that my formula is applicable only for a simple case, but for the
    moment I have only that simple case, and I was glad to solve my present
    problem.

    Many thanks for your guiding me to Chip's page, now I have an abundant
    choice of solutions, including Bob's one, I am going to test them, paying
    special attention to handling FormulaLocal, because
    ActiveCell.FormatConditions(1).Formula1 returns formulae in Local format in
    national language versions.

    Regards,
    Stefi

    „Tom Ogilvy” ezt *rta:

  8. #8
    Stefi
    Guest

    Re: FormatConditions(1).Formula1

    Hi Bob,

    My question was exactly what you understood! Many thanks for your reply, it
    takes some time to understand and apply it, I will let you know the result.

    Regards,
    Stefi

    „Bob Phillips” ezt *rta:

  9. #9
    Stefi
    Guest

    Re: FormatConditions(1).Formula1

    Hi Bob,

    I tried your macro and it failed in my Hungarian XL version at line
    sF1 = .ConvertFormula(sF1, xlA1, xlR1C1)
    because sF1 contained
    =HIBÁS(HOL.VAN($D6;OFSZET(OMSZ;0;0;1;OSZLOPOK(OMSZ));0))
    It stands for
    =ISERROR(MATCH($D6,OFFSET(OMSZ,0,0,1,COLUMNS(OMSZ)),0))
    so it should be converted into the English format to make it applicable.

    The formula can be converted through a helper cell:
    Range("helperCell").Formulalocal="=HIBÁS(HOL.VAN($D6;OFSZET(OMSZ;0;0;1;OSZLOPOK(OMSZ));0))"
    ConvertedFormula = Range("helperCell").Formula

    Is there a simpler way (without a helper cell)?

    Regards,
    Stefi

    „Bob Phillips” ezt *rta:

  10. #10
    Stefi
    Guest

    Re: FormatConditions(1).Formula1

    Hi Tom,

    I tried Chip's macro and it failed because of not handling FormulaLocal
    (just like Bob's one)!

    Regards,
    Stefi

    „Stefi” ezt *rta: