Re: How do I link cells, sheet to sheet, to recognize row deletion

  1. #1
    Max
    Guest

    Re: How do I link cells, sheet to sheet, to recognize row deletion

    > .. How can I make the row change
    > in worksheet 1, column A,
    > replicate as a (corresponding)
    > row change in all the other worksheets?

    Formulas cannot achieve the essence above, Bob.
    We would need a subroutine (vba) to do that.
    (I did a brief trawl through google's archives
    but was unable to find something suitable to suggest)

    Hang around awhile for possible responses from others versed in vba who
    might have something to offer you.
    (I've cross posted this response to .programming)

    Good luck !
    --
    Max
    Singapore
    news:[email protected]...

  2. #2
    Max
    Guest

    Re: How do I link cells, sheet to sheet, to recognize row deletion

    Bob,

    In the interim, perhaps you would like to try the 2 "bare-bones" subs below
    on a **spare** copy of your book (First, kill all previous formulas in col A
    in all "slave" sheets with an in-place: Copy > Paste special > check
    "Values" > OK)

    Press Alt+F11 to go to VBE
    Click Insert > Module
    Copy and paste the 2 subs below into the code window
    Press Alt+Q to exit VBE and go back to Excel

    In Excel,
    in your master sheet: ToolEvaluation

    Click View > Toolbars > Forms
    Click on the button icon and draw a button somewhere on the sheet

    The Assign Macro dialog will pop up
    Look for "InsertRow" in the dialog box, select it > OK
    (or just double-click on "InsertRow")
    The above assigns the Sub InsertRow() to this button.
    Right-click on the button > Edit Text [to rename the button]

    Repeat to draw another button, assign "DeleteRow"
    Right-click the button to select, re-position the 2 buttons
    somewhere near the top, say, within A2

    Test it out ..

    In ToolEvaluation,
    Say, we want to insert a new row 7
    Select say, A7, then click the button "InsertRow"
    This will insert a new row 7 in "ToolEvaluation", and correspondingly insert
    a new row 7 as well in the slave sheets: "Documentum" & "Hummingbird"

    Re-select the "new" A7, click DeleteRow
    This will delete the entire row 7 in "ToolEvaluation", and correspondingly
    deletes row 7 in sheets: "Documentum" & "Hummingbird" as well

    '--------
    Sub InsertRow()
    'ToolEvaluation is the master sheet
    Sheets(Array("ToolEvaluation", "Documentum", "Hummingbird")).Select
    Sheets("ToolEvaluation").Activate
    ActiveCell.EntireRow.Insert
    Sheets("ToolEvaluation").Select
    End Sub

    Sub DeleteRow()
    'ToolEvaluation is the master sheet
    Sheets(Array("ToolEvaluation", "Documentum", "Hummingbird")).Select
    Sheets("ToolEvaluation").Activate
    ActiveCell.EntireRow.Delete
    '------

  3. #3
    BobW
    Guest

    Re: How do I link cells, sheet to sheet, to recognize row deletion

    Max, you genius, i owe you a virtual beer!!!
    By the way, just for fun I tried it without first killing all the previous
    formulas in the slave sheets....guess what? It wasn't necessary; when I add
    a new row using your buttion, it's reflected on all slave sheets AND the new
    row on the slave sheet inherits the 'copied down' formula automatically so
    not only does the new row go in fine, but its new name replicates through all
    the slave sheets, too. Just what I wanted!

    Incidentally, the actual workbook has about 22 slave sheets, so I had to add
    all their names into your array string function.

    This is just wonderful; thank you for the lesson. You are a good teacher!

  4. #4
    Max
    Guest

    Re: How do I link cells, sheet to sheet, to recognize row deletion

    Glad it worked out well for you, Bob
    and we had fun, too, along the way ! <g>
    Thanks for the feedback ..

  5. #5
    BobW
    Guest

    Re: How do I link cells, sheet to sheet, to recognize row deletion?

    Max, I wonder if you can suggest how I can link column 1, sheet A in workbook
    A, to all the Sheet A's in workbooks 2-25, so that if I change any column A
    cell in Workbook 1, and then open any of the other workbooks, each of their
    Sheet A cell contents will be updated to echo the change, AND also so that if
    rows are inserted in Workbook A sheet A, those rows will also become inserted
    in all the Sheet A's in the other workbooks...upon opening them...

    I've tried Insert Link, and it works for the cell contents, but it doesn't
    seem to work for automatically picking up added rows.

  6. #6
    Max
    Guest

    "BobW" wrote:
    > .. also so that if rows are inserted in Workbook A sheet A,
    > ... those rows will also become inserted in all the Sheet A's
    > in the other workbooks...upon opening them...

    Afraid I'm out of my depth on this. Perhaps others better versed in vba
    would step in here to offer you something. Hang around awhile.