Tracking domain names

  1. #1
    \(Joseph
    Guest

    Tracking domain names

    Hello

    I've always used excel to track data regarding my domain names. I was
    wondering if anyone has ever come across a macro or knows how to create one
    that would add a little more functionality to my excel sheet.

    In column A, I have a list of all my domain names (eg domain.com). In
    column B through D, I have some additional information such as expiry date
    etc.

    What I was wondering was is there any kind of Macro, which when run, would
    populate columns E through I with data regarding the number of listings in
    each of the major search engines (eg Google, MSN, Yahoo, Altavista, Excite).
    Columns J through N would have data from the last time the Macro was run, so
    that on a glance, someone could compare how things are going.

    As an example, If column E is for Google and you do a +site:cnn.com, it
    would show that there are 9,170,000 listings. This would be in column E.

    Thank you

  2. #2
    Chris Marlow
    Guest

    RE: Tracking domain names

    Joseph,

    You could do something in VBA ... but it would be a bit complicated (using
    Microsoft HTML Object Library & Microsoft WinHTTP Services).

    As an alternative you could consider this;

    Data - Import External Data - New Web Query

    Copy the url that contains the number you are after into the Address & hit Go;

    http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en...e+Search&meta=

    When the page has refreshed you can click the black arrow on yellow
    background near 'Web'. This part of the page includes the number you are
    after.

    'Import' drops onto the sheet - the format can sometimes be off (in this
    case it drops into 2 cells). Also you would need to strip the correct number
    from the text in the second cell.

    There are options to set for frequency of update etc and you would have to
    set this up individually for each search (although I'm sure you can
    automate/reuse query definitions I've never looked into how) - but it would
    get you the data you want.

    Regards,

    Chris.
    --
    Chris Marlow
    MCSD.NET, Microsoft Office XP Master

  3. #3
    \(Joseph
    Guest

    Re: Tracking domain names

    Thank you Chris...that definately got me the information I needed, I've just
    got to figure out how to automate this.

    news:[email protected]...