Workbook_BeforeClose: Cancel doesn't work

  1. #1
    sebt
    Guest

    Workbook_BeforeClose: Cancel doesn't work

    Hello

    I posted on this topic a month ago but have had no reply. Can anyone
    confirm this bug in Excel?

    To reproduce the bug:

    1. New workbook
    2. In the Workbook_BeforeClose event procedure of the workbook module,
    put this:

    Cancel=True
    MsgBox "Yes this event procedure is actually executing"

    3. Close the workbook.
    4. You get the MsgBox, but the workbook closes!

    Versions:
    BUG in XL2000 SP3 (9.0.6926 SP3)
    NO bug in XL2000 basic (9.0.2720)

    Kristian Mayville posted on this topic 21/07/2005 - he's found the
    problem in XL2003
    (11.6355.6360) SP1, VBA Retail 6.4.9972. No reply to him either.

    What can I do? MVPs, Microsoft, are you listening? (There nothing in
    the MS KB).

    seb

  2. #2
    Jim Rech
    Guest

    Re: Workbook_BeforeClose: Cancel doesn't work

    I just tried it in Excel 97, 2000, 2002 and 2003 and in all four I was
    unable to close the workbook. Interestingly I have the exact same version
    of 2000 as you.

    --
    Jim
    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    sebt
    Guest

    Re: Workbook_BeforeClose: Cancel doesn't work

    Thanks for your post Jim. I think from your extensive tests - and the
    fact that nobody answered my previous post or Kristian's earlier post
    on this topic - I have to conclude that no-one can reproduce this.

    The factor which I realise I didn't mention is Citrix:

    XL2000 basic (9.0.2720) is running on my local machine. In this
    version there's no problem - the workbook won't close, as expected.
    XL2000 SP3 (9.0.6926) is running on a Citrix server (Metaframe
    Presentation Server 3.0). This is the version in which the problem
    occurs - the workbook closes, even though Cancel has been set to True.

    So it looks like Citrix is the obvious factor. Which seems odd: I
    thought that Citrix was just a machine located elsewhere feeding
    screen/mouse/keyboard input to the desktop. Maybe this assumption just
    shows how little I know about Citrix - when I started out as an MS
    developer 10 years ago I assumed that their products would do exactly
    what they said they would, all the time...

    It can't be something as simple as some equivalent of
    Application.EnableEvents being set to False, because the event does
    execute.

    Think I'd better chase this up in a Citrix group.

    thanks again

    Seb