Office SP2 update causes Excel automation crash!

  1. #1
    Rob Schripsema
    Guest

    Office SP2 update causes Excel automation crash!

    Help!

    A client's server was automatically updated to MS Office 2003 SP2 at 3am
    this morning. Normally this would be wonderful, but a Windows Service that I
    had written, that runs on that server, and that utilizes Excel is now
    crashing everytime it tries to open (via automation) a spreadsheet. Aarghhh!

    The Event Log says first, "Rejected Safe Mode action: Microsoft Office
    Excel."

    Next event in the log says, "Faulting application excel.exe, version
    11.0.6560.0, stamp 4296b6f2, faulting module mso.dll, version 11.0.6568.0,
    stamp 42e18ef6, debug? 0, fault address 0x0003446c."

    This application has been working just flawlessly for over a year, and was
    working fine yesterday. As of the update at 3am this morning, it stops
    working. I have to assume there's a connection.

    Anybody able to give me a clue?

    Rob Schripsema
    DeWaard and Jones Company

  2. #2
    Mark Lincoln
    Guest

    Re: Office SP2 update causes Excel automation crash!

    To hazard a general guess (I have Excel 97 here), I would check
    settings related to macros and security. You may have to allow macros
    without digital signatures.

  3. #3
    keepITcool
    Guest

    Re: Office SP2 update causes Excel automation crash!

    Rob.

    Office starts in safe mode when one of it's startup services fails.
    So it gives you an error message telling you it's starting in safe
    mode.

    Open Excel interactively. Go Help > About and click the Disabled Items
    button. To fix the problem might be as simple as re-enabling the
    disabled service."

    --
    keepITcool

    Rob Schripsema wrote in <news:<[email protected]>

  4. #4
    keepITcool
    Guest

    Re: Office SP2 update causes Excel automation crash!

    i got updated overnight too,

    there seems to be a bug in the SP2 regarding the Drawing Toolbar.

    in my original installation i had disabled ClipArt in Office setup the
    entire tree Office SharedFeatures/ClipOrgananizer was set to
    NotAvailable.

    I narrowed it down to the visibility of the Drawing Toolbar.
    Displaying that ran without problems in SP1 (even with clipart
    disabled.)

    After installing SP2 excel continuously disaplys error messages
    "Can't display Clipart"", while the "Drawing" Toolbar is visible.
    and ClipArt is not installed.

    HTH.

  5. #5
    Rob Schripsema
    Guest

    Re: Office SP2 update causes Excel automation crash!

    Thanks for the note. Turns out, however, it was something completely
    different.

    We're going against Microsoft's current recommendations and using Office
    Automation (of Excel) as part of a Windows Service that periodically checks
    an email queue, extracts spreadsheet attachments, parses them, and applies
    order data they contain (after much validation checking) to an order
    fulfillment queue.

    The line in my app (C#) that says, "ExApp = new Excel.Application();" has
    worked flawlessly -- until the update. Suddenly it was causing the internal
    fault that killed the process.

    I was also using something less than a "best practice" in that we were
    running the service under the LocalSystem account. Again, has worked just
    fine for a long time.

    Solution: Create a local machine user account on the server, and run the
    service under that account instead.

    Everything is working just fine now.

    Hope that helps somebody else! And I've learned my lesson. AND, the client
    will be encouraged to fund the development required to create a web service
    to handle incoming orders, rather than having spreadsheets mailed in. Of
    course, that will also mean the dozens of clients they have who are already
    emailing in these spreadsheets will have to change all of their practices as
    well. ($igh).

    Rob

    news:[email protected]...