draw 999 x 8 random records from file with 8614 records

  1. #1
    news.wanadoo.nl
    Guest

    draw 999 x 8 random records from file with 8614 records

    Dear Group,

    I am looking for a script which can draw 999 x 8 random records from an
    excel file with 8614 records. The file should eventually look like this:

    record long lat
    001 15.36 -2.26
    001 25.56 -25.36
    001 24.36 25.36
    001 15.48 36.15
    001 14.69 25.78
    001 24.69 26.14
    001 etc.

    Can anybody help me with this? Regards,

    Niels

  2. #2
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: draw 999 x 8 random records from file with 8614 records

    copy the sheet

    in an adjacent column put in

    =rand()
    and drag fill down.

    sort on this column

    Delete the first 622 records

    If you need the original order, then before sorting, add an additional
    column by entering 1 in D2, 2 in D3, then selecting those two cells and drag
    filling down the column. Then after eliminating records, sort on this
    column.

    Tom Ogilvy

    news:[email protected]...