Create Outlook Distribution lists (default txt file) with excel

  1. #1

    Create Outlook Distribution lists (default txt file) with excel

    Hello experts,

    I have an excel file with several contacts. For each contact there is a "first name" and "last name" column.

    - First of all I would like to concatenate these into a "email adress" column which gives a text string such as:
    "first name"."last name"@excelforum.com

    What could be used to do that automatically?

    Then, as it is shown in the example, each of the contacts belong to different groups which will be emailed specifically. By entering in each "group X" column a text value ("To" for main recipient and "Cc" for Carbon Copy Recipient), I would like to generate an email for any given group. Or by Default a txt file that I'll copy and paste afterwards. From my own view, it can be done with a press button on top of each column to generate that column specific email. But I am not the expert here.

    Though it would be easier, I can't use a regular outlook distribution list since those lists always change and excel will be easier to use in order to manage main recipients and Carbon Copy Recipients.

    I hope I have been clear enough.

    Thx for your help.

    Cheers

    Nico
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by nicolascap; 03-01-2006 at 02:14 PM. Reason: Example not uploaded

  2. #2
    Ron de Bruin
    Guest

    Re: Create Outlook Distribution lists (default txt file) with excel

    Hi Nico

    =A1&"."&B1& "@excelforum.com"
    copy down

    Start here for mail code
    http://www.rondebruin.nl/sendmail.htm

    --
    Regards Ron de Bruin
    http://www.rondebruin.nl

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    thanks Ron,

    Maybe I am getting it all wrong but this add-in I already have in Excel ("file">>"Send To"...).

    I want to use the current workseet, to email an other file (not necessarily an excel file) to some of the filtered recipients in this same worksheet...

    Nico

  4. #4
    Ron de Bruin
    Guest

    Re: Create Outlook Distribution lists (default txt file) with excel

    There are code examples on my site that loop through a list in Excel and use that in the mail
    Check out the code examples and not the add-in

    If you make values of the formula I give you you can use code like this for the To line in the
    Outlook examples.
    http://www.rondebruin.nl/mail/tips2.htm

  5. #5
    OK

    I managed to use the code but my problem isn't cleared since I wanted to use Autofilter on "To" or "Cc" for each group to be able to generate different distribution lists with only the filtered recipients appearing in the "To" field of the email.

    Here I email my whole list...

    Attached updated version of the example.

  6. #6
    Ron de Bruin
    Guest

    Re: Create Outlook Distribution lists (default txt file) with excel

    Hi nicolascap

    You can test the visible cells in the loop

    Dim cell As Range
    Dim strto As String
    For Each cell In ThisWorkbook.Sheets("Sheet1") _
    .Columns("C").Cells.SpecialCells(xlCellTypeConstants)
    If cell.EntireRow.Hidden = False And cell.Value Like "*@*" Then
    strto = strto & cell.Value & ";"
    End If
    Next