Macro to create a comment with contents from Paste

  1. #1
    Steve Walton
    Guest

    Macro to create a comment with contents from Paste

    I want to be able to create a comment for the current cell and add the
    text currently in the Paste buffer.

    The macro works fine, but hard codes the text into the macro

    Range("E2729").Comment.Text Text:= _
    "SteveW:" & Chr(10) & "hard code text....!"

    How can I get it to insert paste buffer ?

    --

    Steve

  2. #2
    Gary''s Student
    Guest

    RE: Macro to create a comment with contents from Paste

    Cheat and use a "helper" cell:

    1. Enter the macro below
    2. ASSIGN A SHORTCUT KEY
    3. Select the cell you want to copy and do the copy
    4. Select the destination cell and run the macro VIA THE SHORTCUT

    The macro will do a paste into the helper cell (Z100) and then establish a
    comment in the destination cell using the contents of the helper cell.

    I stress using the shortcut key because using the menu bar to activate the
    macro will ruin the copy/paste buffer (clipboard)

    Sub cheater()
    Dim r As Range
    ' gsnu
    Set r = Selection
    Range("Z100").Select
    ActiveSheet.Paste
    r.AddComment
    r.Comment.Visible = False
    r.Comment.Text Text:=Range("Z100").Value
    r.Select
    Gary's Student

  3. #3
    Martin
    Guest

    RE: Macro to create a comment with contents from Paste

    The things one learns about from the Excel community! I'd never really
    looked into the clipboard - I found this link under another thread:
    'http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/MacrosVBA/ManipulateClipboard.htm.
    Just got to remember to tick M/soft Forms Library in Tools, References (or
    make a userform and then remove it).
    Didn't know Excel could speak either!

    Sub PasteIntoComment()
    Dim MyData As DataObject
    Dim strClip As String
    Set MyData = New DataObject
    MyData.GetFromClipboard
    strClip = MyData.GetText
    Range("E2729").AddComment "SteveW:" & Chr(10) & MyData.GetText
    Application.Speech.Speak MyData.GetText
    End Sub

  4. #4
    Steve Walton
    Guest

    Re: Macro to create a comment with contents from Paste

    Cheers Gary, that'll work and does
    Only query, if paste buffer is multiple line text, guess this will not
    all go into Z100, suppose I can loop and test cells below it etc

    BTW for me a Macro button worded, in fact Run Macro from menu seemed
    ok as well. Neither lost the paste contents.

    Steve

    --

    Steve

  5. #5
    Gary''s Student
    Guest

    RE: Macro to create a comment with contents from Paste

    Good work Martin! I didn't realize the clipboard could be easily manipulated.
    --
    Gary''s Student

  6. #6
    Steve Walton
    Guest

    Re: Macro to create a comment with contents from Paste

    What version of Excel is that ?
    I have 2000

    --

    Steve

  7. #7
    Martin
    Guest

    Re: Macro to create a comment with contents from Paste

    Sorry Steve, I was getting carried away with the speaking thing which only
    works in 2003 (handy for the blind user). Just cut "Application.Speech.Speak
    MyData.GetText" and the rest should work OK in 2000.