Prevent other users from selecting next available auto-populate cell

  1. #1
    burl_rfc_h
    Guest

    Prevent other users from selecting next available auto-populate cell

    I have a user form that auto-populates a text box, the data to populate
    the text box comes from a separate workbook, we'll call this workbook
    Quotelog.xls.
    When the user form is opened, I select the next available quotation
    no., from Quotelog.xls in column A I have the quotation no. example in
    A1 Quote-001, in cell A2 Quote-002, A3 = Quote-003 etc. etc.
    The next available quotation number is selected by going to the last
    record in column B then I offset the row by 1 and column by -1. After
    completing the user form inputs the data on the form is then copied to
    the Quotelog.xls workbook, again I search on column B for the last
    record then offset by 1 row down. In principle this scheme works fine
    if only one user was to use the user form, unfortunately this is not
    the case.
    It suddenly ocurred to me, that if I open the user form, which would
    auto-populate the text box, how would I know that some other user
    hasn't already selected that quotation no., or another user select the
    quotation no. I'm currently working with, remember a quotation number
    is available until such time that the user form data is copied over to
    Quotelog.xls This is possible because multiple user forms exist but all
    pull from the same Quotelog.xls for the quotation no. Lastly I would
    need to make sure that the data I'm copying over to Quotelog.xls
    actually goes into the correct row.

    Any ideas.

  2. #2
    Norman Jones
    Guest

    Re: Prevent other users from selecting next available auto-populate cell

    Hi Burl,

    See J.E. McGimpsey's suggestions at:

    http://www.mcgimpsey.com/excel/udfs/sequentialnums.html

    ---