Fast Data Processing

  1. #1
    Forum Contributor
    London UK

    Fast Data Processing

    I need a new pc or laptop and would appreciate help to find a machine which will run my excel VBA data processing macros as fast as possible. If you are up for the challenge, contact me at [email protected] and I will forward my 1.4MB excel benchmark test file for you to run and respond.
    Thanks
    Astrikor

  2. #2
    John.Greenan
    Guest

    RE: Fast Data Processing

    Most folks are very helpful on this forum, but I doubt you'll get any takers
    to download your vba code and run it; it's not very sensible for security
    reasons - how would they know what your code does?

    --
    www.alignment-systems.com

  3. #3
    Forum Contributor
    London UK
    Quote Originally Posted by John.Greenan

    "astrikor" wrote:

    > I need a new pc or laptop and would appreciate help to find a machine
    > which will run my excel VBA data processing macros as fast as possible.
    > If you are up for the challenge, contact me at [email protected] and I
    > will forward my 1.4MB excel benchmark test file for you to run and
    > respond.
    > Thanks
    > Astrikor
    >

    > --
    > astrikor
    > astrikor's Profile: http://www.excelforum.com/member.php...o&userid=31465
    > View this thread: http://www.excelforum.com/showthread...hreadid=519285

    Thanks John, I appreciate the comment. Maybe it would help to explain what my test macro does.

    It is a self-contained file in which the macro first asks the user if they wish to continue. The file contains all the data and code needed to calculate the runtime. It finishes by requesting the user to email me the result.

    The macro takes one of a sequence of data strings from one worksheet, pastes it to a second worksheet where the string is processed by predictive algorithms and cell formulae, the results of which are logged into a third worksheet. The macro then returns to the first sheet to collect the next data string.There are hundreds of data strings, each containing hundreds of data points. It is intensive data manipulation.

    With a target runtime of 10 seconds, anything better will be great.

    Regarding security, the file has a Digital Self-Certificate.

    Astrikor

  4. #4
    John.Greenan
    Guest

    Re: Fast Data Processing

    Wow - a digital self certificate - oh well that's fine then, I'll just run
    this vba code on my machine safe in the knowledge that you certify that you
    wrote the code.

    If you do want people to run this, you should post the vba code and some
    sample data in a csv file. You can ignore me, and the sarcasm, but you're
    being a bit naive or uninformed if you think self-signing will make any
    difference to security.

    --
    www.alignment-systems.com

  5. #5
    Forum Contributor
    London UK
    While your sarcasm is understandable, it is not very helpful. The code is confidential. However, the file has been virus scanned before being signed off with the digital self-certificate. This is to protect the code from any further contamination.
    Astrikor

  6. #6
    Forum Contributor
    London UK

    Some Results So far

    At 12 secs, the fastest pc is my still my own Athlon 1.4Ghz, 256ddrRAM, XPPro, XL2000.
    This is closely followed at 13 secs by Matthew's Athlon64 3500 (2.21Ghz), 1024RAM, XP Home, XL2003.
    As expected, at the other extreme, at 58 secs is Ed's Apple Mac Min 1.42Ghz 1024RAM, Mc XL2004.

    The best laptop so far at 21 secs is Richard's Toshiba Sattellite 1110, Celeron 1.5Ghz, 256RAM, XPHome (sp2), XL2000

    The 10 secs target is beginning to look difficult.

    Astrikor

  7. #7

    Results Query

    Quote Originally Posted by astrikor
    At 12 secs, the fastest pc is my still my own Athlon 1.4Ghz, 256ddrRAM, XPPro, XL2000.
    This is closely followed at 13 secs by Matthew's Athlon64 3500 (2.21Ghz), 1024RAM, XP Home, XL2003.
    As expected, at the other extreme, at 58 secs is Ed's Apple Mac Min 1.42Ghz 1024RAM, Mc XL2004.

    The best laptop so far at 21 secs is Richard's Toshiba Sattellite 1110, Celeron 1.5Ghz, 256RAM, XPHome (sp2), XL2000

    The 10 secs target is beginning to look difficult.

    Astrikor
    That's very interesting.
    How do you account for your 1.4gig/256 Athlon being faster than the 2.21gig/1024? I also notice you don't report the graphics cards in these pcs, as your vba switches between worksheets wouldn't you expect graphics to be influencial in runtimes?
    Exdevon

  8. #8
    Forum Contributor
    London UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Exdevon
    That's very interesting.
    How do you account for your 1.4gig/256 Athlon being faster than the 2.21gig/1024? I also notice you don't report the graphics cards in these pcs, as your vba switches between worksheets wouldn't you expect graphics to be influencial in runtimes?
    Exdevon
    I can't - that's the problem, and that's why I am running this thread. If I knew the factors determining processing speed I could go and buy a pc/laptop to the right specification. Does anyone have any ideas?

    VBA application.screenupdating = false allows sheets to be switched during processing without being sent to the display processor, so graphics performance is not relevant.
    Astrikor

  9. #9

    Notebook Query

    Hi Astrikor
    I am also looking to solve this one, I need a fast notebook to run macros.
    Have you had any inputs from Pentium M or Athlon XP-M based systems?
    Thanks
    CT

  10. #10
    Forum Contributor
    London UK
    Quote Originally Posted by Clive Trapmore
    Hi Astrikor
    I am also looking to solve this one, I need a fast notebook to run macros.
    Have you had any inputs from Pentium M or Athlon XP-M based systems?
    Thanks
    CT
    No, no inputs from those yet, but if anyone has one they could help out by requesting the benchmark file from me at [email protected]

    Thanks
    Astrikor