Macro to open and close an Excel file

  1. #1
    Magnivy
    Guest

    Macro to open and close an Excel file

    I would like to create a macro that would open an Excel file based on file
    path that is indicated in a cell, and then close it. For instance, open the
    file for which the file path is indicated in cell A1, and then close it.

    Any advice you could provide on this would be greatly appreciated.

    Magnivy

  2. #2
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Macro to open and close an Excel file

    workbooks.open Range("A1").Value
    activeworkbook.close

    Bob Phillips

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    dim openwb as workbook
    workbooks.open filename:=Range("A1")
    set openwb=activeworkbook
    openwb.close

    Quote Originally Posted by Magnivy

  4. #4
    Henrich
    Guest

    RE: Macro to open and close an Excel file

    Hi, try this:

    Sub File_Open()
    file=Range("A1")
    Workbooks.Open Filename:= file
    ActiveWindow.Close
    End Sub

    „Magnivy" napÃ*sal (napÃ*sala):

  5. #5
    Jim Thomlinson
    Guest

    RE: Macro to open and close an Excel file

    Try this...

    Sub OpenClose()
    Dim wbk As Workbook

    On Error Resume Next
    Set wbk = Workbooks.Open(Sheets("Sheet1").Range("A1"))
    On Error GoTo 0

    If wbk Is Nothing Then Exit Sub

    MsgBox wbk.Name & " is open."
    wbk.Close

    MsgBox "And now it is closed."
    Set wbk = Nothing
    HTH...

    Jim Thomlinson

  6. #6
    Magnivy
    Guest

    Re: Macro to open and close an Excel file

    Many thanks to everyone for your help!! kwiklearner's code seems to work best
    for me.

    Magnivy