Prime Number just for fun

  1. #1
    Paul Breslin
    Guest

    Prime Number just for fun

    Hello --

    I found this on the Internet and would like to make it work.
    I placed the formula in cell B1 and the number to be examined in A1 however
    it evaluates primes and non-primes as TRUE.
    Obviously, I have done something wrong.
    Can anyone steer me correctly?
    Paul

    POWER FORMULA TECHNIQUE
    by Bob Umlas
    This array formula returns TRUE if the number in cell A1 is a prime number.
    =OR(A1=2,A1=3,ISNA(MATCH(TRUE,A1/ROW(INDIRECT("2:"&INT(SQRT(A1))))=
    INT(A1/ROW(INDIRECT("2:"&INT(SQRT(A1))))),0)))
    Use it as a conditional formatting formula, with A1 as the active cell
    in the selection to be formatted.
    Here's how Bob's amazing formula works. In a nutshell, the number is
    divided by all potential prime factors, and the resulting array is tested
    to see whether it contains a whole number. If is does, you have a prime
    number. A limitation of this formula is that it cannot test numbers that
    are greater than 65535^2. This is due to the array size constraint in
    Excel 97/2000.

  2. #2
    Forum Expert daddylonglegs's Avatar
    England
    MS-Off Ver
    14,675
    Used as a cell formula it needs to be confirmed with CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER so that braces like these { } appear around the formula in the formula bar.

    If you already have the formula in B1 then simply put the cursor somewhere in the formula within the formula bar and hit CTRL+SHIFT while holding down ENTER....

  3. #3
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: Prime Number just for fun

    I would hold down the Ctrl+Shift Keys and hit the Enter key. When I try it
    "daddys" way, the cursor travels away from the cell.

    Tom Ogilvy

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    Paul Breslin
    Guest

    Re: Prime Number just for fun

    When I hold down the ENTER key, the cursor takes off down the sheet.
    Would there be a way of placing this in a module and coding it?
    Thanks,
    Paul
    ===========

    "daddylonglegs" <[email protected]>
    news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    Paul Breslin
    Guest

    Re: Prime Number just for fun

    Hello -
    I had the same thing happen on my machine - when I hold down the ENTER key,
    the cursor flies down the sheet.
    I asked "Daddylonglegs" if there was a way of coding this so one need only
    enter a number to be evaluated in cell A1 and when the cursor was moved to
    another cell an update function (or something) would evaluate A1.
    Thanks,
    Paul
    --------------

    news:[email protected]...

  6. #6
    Gary Keramidas
    Guest

    Re: Prime Number just for fun

    you can try this, just change b2 to wherever you want the formula

    Range("b2").FormulaArray = _
    "=OR(A1=2,A1=3,ISNA(MATCH(TRUE,A1/ROW(INDIRECT(""2:"" & INT(SQRT(A1))))" _
    & "=INT(A1/ROW(INDIRECT(""2:"" & INT(SQRT(A1))))),0)))"

    --

    Gary

    news:[email protected]...

  7. #7
    Paul Breslin
    Guest

    Re: Prime Number just for fun

    Thanks very much - that worked just fine.
    Paul
    ------------

    news:[email protected]...

  8. #8
    Forum Expert daddylonglegs's Avatar
    England
    MS-Off Ver
    14,675
    Sorry guys, just all fingers and thumbs

    of course Tom's right......write out 100 times....

    I would hold down the Ctrl+Shift Keys and hit the Enter key
    I would hold down the Ctrl+Shift Keys and hit the Enter key
    I would hold down the Ctrl+Shift Keys and hit the Enter key
    I would hold down the Ctrl+Shift Keys and hit the Enter key
    I would hold down the Ctrl+Shift Keys and hit the Enter key
    I would hold down the ......