Profit Margin Trend

  1. #1

    Profit Margin Trend

    HI

    I need to work out the projected future profit margin based on the trend of the previous period of days in the month.

    For instance

    Day 1 - 25.60%
    Day 2 - 24.50%
    Day 3 - 26.90%
    Day 4 - 23.20%
    Day 5 - 21.00%

    What would be the trend for the rest of the month based on the above. Please advise the best function/formule to calculate this.

    Thanks

    VC

  2. #2
    Toppers
    Guest

    RE: Profit Margin Trend

    Take a look at the TREND function. equally, you could do a line plot and add
    the trend line plus display the equation of that line (of form y=Mx+c).

    HTH

  3. #3
    Lonnie M.
    Guest

    Re: Profit Margin Trend

    Hi, just to add to Toppers advice, if you have the analysis tool pack
    add-in installed then you can use some of the tools included with it.
    Look in the tools menu for 'Data Analysis'. It has exponential
    smoothing and some other useful forecasting tools. If this forecasting
    is vital, that is worth some investment of time, you may want to look
    into something like double exponential smoothing. See the links below:

    Single Exponential Smoothing:
    http://www.itl.nist.gov/div898/handb...on4/pmc431.htm

    Double Exponential Smoothing:
    http://www.itl.nist.gov/div898/handb...on4/pmc433.htm