Prevent Cursor from Changing from default

  1. #1
    cdclayton
    Guest

    Prevent Cursor from Changing from default

    A2K

    I have a workbook that needs people's signatures. I can get the
    signatures okay and I have it set up so that when a person clicks on a
    circle, their signature will appear in the appropriate place. However,
    I would like to insure that no one can use someone else's signature so
    I would like to hide the circle in a different place on the screen for
    each signature. Then I would tell each person only where their circle
    is located.

    The slight problem that I have is that when any person is moving the
    cursor around the spreadsheet if they come to the circle (even though
    it is hidden - using white color), the cursor changes form from an
    arrow to a hand (link select). Is there a way to prevent a cursor from
    changing form while on a spreadsheet?

    Thanks,

    Charles D Clayton Jr

  2. #2
    Chip Pearson
    Guest

    Re: Prevent Cursor from Changing from default

    I don't think you can prevent the cursor from changing.

    --
    Cordially,
    Chip Pearson

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Vic Eldridge
    Guest

    RE: Prevent Cursor from Changing from default

    Hi Charles,

    You can set the cursor to display only the arrow with the following,
    Application.Cursor = xlNorthwestArrow

    To set it back to normal behaviour use the following,
    Application.Cursor = xlDefault

    > it is hidden - using white color

    If you used the .Visible property to hide the circles, you wouldn't have to
    change their color, and the xlDefault cursor icon would no longer "give away"
    their location. It is worth trying to keep the cursor property set to
    xlDefault, as it's context sensitive nature is quite useful.

    Regards,
    Vic Eldridge

  4. #4
    cdclayton
    Guest

    Re: Prevent Cursor from Changing from default

    Thanks for the replies and sorry in being so long in my response but
    how do you hide the circle. It is called oval1

    Thanks,

    Charles D Clayton Jr

  5. #5
    Brainless_in_Boston
    Guest

    RE: Prevent Cursor from Changing from default

    Vic -

    Sorry to jump in - is this a macro you're talking about? I'm really curious
    about this process, and I appreciate that you know how to address it!

    I have very little success with writing macros (and think it's needlessly
    complicated), so I am most interested in how to solve this problem.

    Mark

  6. #6
    Vic Eldridge
    Guest

    Re: Prevent Cursor from Changing from default

    > how do you hide the circle. It is called oval1

    ActiveSheet.Shapes("oval1").Visible = False

    The next thing you'll probably need to know is how to deal with multiple
    shapes. The following should give you some ideas.

    Sub AllShapes()
    Dim shp As Shape
    For Each shp In ActiveSheet.Shapes
    MsgBox shp.Name
    Next shp

    Vic Eldridge

  7. #7
    Vic Eldridge
    Guest

    RE: Prevent Cursor from Changing from default

    > is this a macro you're talking about?
    Yes.

    > think it's needlessly complicated

    Excel's object model is one of the most complicated in existence. That's the
    price we pay for such a powerful and flexible computing environment.

    > I am most interested in how to solve this problem.

    To what problem are you referring ?

    Regards,
    Vic Eldridge

  8. #8
    cdclayton
    Guest

    Re: Prevent Cursor from Changing from default

    Thank you for your time and help.

    Charles D Clayton Jr