Matching one pair of cells with another

  1. #1
    Giselle
    Guest

    Matching one pair of cells with another

    Greetings

    On sheet1 I have a table in A1:B20 that shows 'acceptable pairs', like this:

    a mon
    a tue
    a sun
    b mon
    b wed
    c mon
    c thu
    c fri
    c sat ...etc

    On sheet2, users enter similar values in columns C and D. If users enter
    'acceptable pairs' as listed in sheet1, that's OK, but if they enter, say
    b tue, I don't want excel to accept the pair.

    What's the best way to do this?

    much thanks for any ideas

    Giselle

  2. #2
    duane
    Guest

    RE: Matching one pair of cells with another

    you can do a "search" using the match function where in my case a4:a12 is the
    column of letters, and b4:b12 is the adjacent column with days, and e5 and f5
    contain the desired match. This is an array formula (control+shift+enter)
    and will yield #NA if there is no match

    =MATCH(1,(A4:A12=E5)*(B4:B12=F5),0)

  3. #3
    Giselle
    Guest

    Re: Matching one pair of cells with another

    hi duane and all

    so... are you suggesting I use theCSE formula
    =MATCH(1,(A4:A12=E5)*(B4:B12=F5),0) as a validation criteria? If not,
    where would you use this?

    TQ in advance, Giselle

    news:[email protected]...