Named Ranges - Created by system?

  1. #1
    Michael Beckinsale
    Guest

    Named Ranges - Created by system?

    Hi All,

    I have some named ranges that appear (using Karl Patriese's Name Manager)
    that l have not created. An example is:

    List_Estab!Extract =List_Estab!$AG:$AG

    the strange thing is that all of named ranges that l have not created myself
    have the suffix 'Extract'

    1) Are these system generated named ranges? (KP's Name Manager tells me
    they are not)
    2) What causes them to be generated?
    3) Using KP's name manager l am told that they are not used in any
    formula's (apart from testing INDIRECT function, which l have not used) so
    can l delete them?

    This was highlighted when l was trying to reduce the workbook size and
    noticed that l hade a named ranged containing cells.

    All information gratefully received

    Regards

    Michael Beckinsale

  2. #2

    Re: Named Ranges - Created by system?

    Excel creates its own names.

    Extract can be created by running data|Filter|advanced filter (and extracting
    that list to a new range).

  3. #3
    Michael Beckinsale
    Guest

    Re: Named Ranges - Created by system?

    Dave,

    Thanks for that. It points me in the right direction as l have some VBA code
    that does exactly that.

    news:[email protected]...