return a value from a range

  1. #1
    Tom
    Guest

    return a value from a range

    Hi all,
    I have a column of numbers in D3:D25 and corresponding values in E3:E25.
    When I enter a value into A3, I would like B3 to return the value that
    corresponds to column D where it's value is NOT higher than A3. For example:
    If A3=22.3...and column D numbers are 21.5,22.5,23.5, I would like to return
    the value next to the cell with the 22.5. Things sure are difficult to
    explain in text sometimes!!!

    Thanks in advance!

  2. #2
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: return a value from a range

    =INDEX(E3:E25,MATCH(A3,D3:D25,1))

    your explanation conflicts with the example. The value Not higher than 22.3
    is 21 not 22.5

    Bob Phillips

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Tom
    Guest

    Re: return a value from a range

    Hi Bob, I may have goofed on the explanation...but you got exactly what I was
    looking for.

    Thanks!!!