format text in cell

  1. #1

    format text in cell

    I am trying to enter distances in Excel cells and want the feet to be
    normal script and the inches be in underlined superscript. Is there a
    VBA code that will automatically convert the last two digits entered
    into the cell? Any help will be appreciated.

  2. #2
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: format text in cell

    Sub AAA()
    With ActiveCell.Characters(Len(ActiveCell.Value) - 1, 2).Font
    .Superscript = True
    .Underline = True
    End With

    End Sub

    possibly. This only works with constant values - not cells containing
    formulas.

    Tom Ogilvy

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    L Scholes
    Guest

    Re: format text in cell

    How do I get this only in selected cells? I have two columns (separated
    by several rows) so I have 4 printable sheets. I only want the
    "Measurement" cells to format this way, not the other, "Description,"
    cells.

  4. #4
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: format text in cell

    Sub AAA()
    for each cell in Range("A2:A20,C2:C20,D2:E20")
    With Cell.Characters(Len(Cell.Value) - 1, 2).Font
    .Superscript = True
    .Underline = True
    End With
    Next
    End Sub

    Change the range reference to match the layout of your data.

    Tom Ogilvy

    news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    L Scholes
    Guest

    Re: format text in cell

    I used this code in both a module and the code for Sheet1 and it
    doesn't seem to have any effect.??? (When I get this sheet working I
    will change the references as appropriate.)

    Sub AAA()
    For Each Cell In Range("C5:C59,D5:D59")

  6. #6
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: format text in cell

    This is called rich text formatting and can only be done on cells that
    contain TEXT Constants (not numbers, not formulas). If your cells contain
    numbers, then you would modify it to make them text as I have done below

    Sub AAA()
    For Each Cell In Range("C5:C59,D5:D59")
    cell.Value = "'" & cell.Text

  7. #7
    L Scholes
    Guest

    Re: format text in cell

    I really appreciate your help, but none of this working. I made the
    indicated changes on both Sheet1 and module. Am I putting the code in
    the wrong place?

  8. #8
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: format text in cell

    You have to run the code.

  10. #10
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: format text in cell

    What do you have stored in the cells?

  11. #11
    L Scholes
    Guest

    Re: format text in cell

    Right now there is nothing in the cells. I keep the book as a template,
    then add the measurements and save the book named as a separate case
    number. I can delete all macros and send you a code if that helps.

  12. #12
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: format text in cell

    Obviously if the cell is empty, the macro will do nothing.

    I already know the macro works within the constraints I cited.

    If you are expecting the macro to apply a format to the cell so if you
    entered something it would appear as you describe, unfortunately, Excel does
    not support that. The formatting is applied directly to a text string in
    the cell. An empty cell remains an empty cell.

  13. #13
    L Scholes
    Guest

    Re: format text in cell

    The cells are empty when I start, but I add the measurements, feet and
    inches, as the information becomes available. Now I have to insert the
    numbers, then select the inches portion (last two digits), right click,
    select "Format Cells">"Font," then select "superscript," and
    "underline." There is no way to do this automatically using a macro?
    Some of these measurements run into the thousands.