Change to a Cell causes action

  1. #1
    Jordan
    Guest

    Change to a Cell causes action

    Good Morning,

    I would like to solve this with a formula if at all possible. I want my
    workbook to record, in the adjacent cell, when someone makes a change to a
    cell in column A. So in cells B3:B10 the equations are:
    =IF(A3="","",NOW())
    =IF(A4="","",NOW())
    and so on. The problem I have is that when I update any of those cells, the
    dates for all of them change. Is there a way to setup the workbook so that
    if someone updates A5, only the date in B5 changes?

    Thanks a bunch,
    jordan

  2. #2
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Change to a Cell causes action

    '-----------------------------------------------------------------
    '-----------------------------------------------------------------
    Const WS_RANGE As String = "A3:A10"

    On Error GoTo ws_exit:
    Application.EnableEvents = False
    With Target
    If .Value = "" Then
    .Offset(0, 1).Value = ""
    Else
    .Offset(0, 1).Value = Format(Time, "hh:mm:ss")
    End If
    End With
    End If

    ws_exit:
    Application.EnableEvents = True

    Bob Phillips

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Carim
    Guest

    Re: Change to a Cell causes action

    Hi Jordan,

    Take a look at the solution :

    Carim

  4. #4
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    RE: Change to a Cell causes action

    =IF(A3="","",If(B3="",NOW(),B3))
    =IF(A4="","",if(B4="",NOW(),B4))

    Before you enter these formulas, you need to go to Tools=>Options, calculate
    tab and check Iterations; set max iterations to 1.

    You may have to repeat this setting when you close excel and reopen it.
    Setting it allows circular references.

    If a cell in column A already has a value and you want to change that value,
    you need to clear the cell first, then enter a new value.
    Tom Ogilvy