Copying a Range from a Workbook without opening in memory.

  1. #1
    Richard Buttrey
    Guest

    Copying a Range from a Workbook without opening in memory.

    Hi,

    Is it possible to copy a known range from a workbook that is not open,
    and paste that range into an open workbook?

    Usual TIA

    __
    Richard Buttrey
    Grappenhall, Cheshire, UK
    __________________________

  2. #2
    Bernie Deitrick
    Guest

    Re: Copying a Range from a Workbook without opening in memory.

    Richard,

    It sepends on whether you want values or everything (formatting, formulas, etc.).

    If you want just values, you can create a link to the cells that you want, and won't need to open
    the file. Otherwise, you need to open the file to do the copy.

    HTH,
    Bernie
    MS Excel MVP

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    RE: Copying a Range from a Workbook without opening in memory.

    You can extract data from a closed workbook. If your range is set up like a
    databasae, you can use ADO.
    http://www.erlandsendata.no/english/...php?t=envbadac

    You can use formulas (probably the fastest)

    With Range("a1:Z26")
    .formula = "='C:\My Folder\[MyFile.xls]Sheet1'!A1"
    ' now replace the formulas with the value returned
    .Formula = .Value
    End With

    Tom Ogilvy

  4. #4
    Ron de Bruin
    Guest

    Re: Copying a Range from a Workbook without opening in memory.

    You can download a ADO example here
    http://www.rondebruin.nl/ado.htm

    --
    Regards Ron de Bruin