Excell and Population demographics

  1. #1
    Jeffery
    Guest

    Excell and Population demographics

    I am trying to create a spread sheet showing population changes. For one of
    my lists I show a change in population from 194 in 1990 to 962 in 2000. The
    data source reports this is a 396% increase. How do I format the cells, B2
    to C2, to show this figure automatically as I have a whole list (B3 to C3,
    etc) of different counties to figure.
    --
    Jeffery

  2. #2
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: Excell and Population demographics

    B1: 194
    B2: 962
    In C2 put in
    =(B2-B1)/B1
    and format the Cell as Per centage with no decimals.

    then select C2 and drag fill down the sheet.

    Tom Ogilvy

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Jeffery
    Guest

    Re: Excell and Population demographics

    Thank Tom.

    This did get me close. My inital population in 1990 was 194 in B2. In 2000
    was 962 in C2. Need the percentage in D2. Putting in the formula you gave
    me I got the answer, but it's in a negative percentage showing it decreased
    instead of increased. How can I reflect it as an increase?
    --
    Jeffery

  4. #4
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    Re: Excell and Population demographics

    I believe it is clear that I misinterpreted your locations if you would
    compare what I provided. Here is a correction:

    B2: 194
    C2: 962
    In D2 put in
    =(C2-B2)/B2
    format as Percentage with no decimals.

    Then drag fill down column

  5. #5
    Jeffery
    Guest

    Re: Excell and Population demographics

    Thanks Tom. Wow.... in a 14 year period in the ten rural Missouri counties
    that Tyson built meat processing plants there was a 736% increase in the
    Hispanic population with only an 18% "all other" population increase.... go
    figure.
    --
    Jeffery