How to select one of three lists for a combo box?

  1. #1
    Missouri

    How to select one of three lists for a combo box?

    I am creating a form to specifiy several properties for three product models.
    They all share some basic properties, but the choices for each property are different based on the model.
    For example, for the color property.
    Model A: red, green, yellow
    Model B: blue, orange, purple
    Model C: clear, black, white

    Is it possible to select one of the three models listed (A, B, C) using a Combo Box (Control Form) and based on the model, select the list of colors that the Color Combo Box will use?

    In other words, using the Model Combo Box, the user will first select one of the three listed models, and based on this selection, the Color Combo Box will 'look' at the proper list from three possible lists to offer the choices.

    I don't know if I explained what I want to do clealry - please, let me know.

    (FWIF, in the real application there are over 30 characteristics.)

    Thanks

    Alex

  2. #2
    Toppers
    Guest

    RE: How to select one of three lists for a combo box?

    Take a look here:

  3. #3
    Toppers

  4. #4
    Missouri
    Toppers -

    Thank you for your prompt reply. The solution you referenced gave me an idea that works well in this case.

    The Form is sheet 1.
    All the specifications were on the data sheet (sheet 2) - three columns.

    What I did was to add another column next to each of the three specification columns, and simply entered the model number into each cell of the appropriate column. Now each specification has its model number on the adjacent column, as follows:
    Col A = 1st model number, Col B = Specs for A
    Col C = 2nd model number, Col D = Specs for C
    Col E = 3rd model number, Col F = Specs for E

    I then created another column, G, where each cell contains a 3-deep "If" statement. Depending on the model selected (Form, sheet 1), the "If" statement causes the appropriate spec to appear on column G, which now is the list that is referenced in the form model number combo box.

    Works well.

    Thanks

    Alex