Saving as .pdf

  1. #1
    ryanmhess
    Guest

    Saving as .pdf

    Currently I have a macro that selects sheet 3 of my workbook, copies it, and
    saves it as a new workbook in a seperate folder.

    What I want is for it to save sheet 3 as a .pdf file instead of .xls

    The code I have right now to save sheet 3 is as follows.

    Sheets("Sheet3").Copy
    Range("B13").Select
    Sheets("Sheet3").SaveAs Filename:="blaahblaahfolder" & _
    Range("B15").Value & ".xls"
    ActiveWorkbook.Close

    I was thinking easy so I changed it to

    Sheets("Sheet3").Copy
    Range("B13").Select
    Sheets("Sheet3").SaveAs Filename:="blaahblaahfolder" & _
    Range("B15").Value & ".pdf"
    ActiveWorkbook.Close

    I run the macro and it does run cleanly but when I go into the
    "blaahblaahfolder" to open up the file I get an error message and am unable
    to open the file.

    Any help would be most appreciated.

    Thank you!

  2. #2
    Jim Rech
    Guest

    Re: Saving as .pdf

    Excel does not have the ability to save PDF files. It has been announced
    for Excel 12, so you're ahead of the curve.

    If you have the PDFWriter installed your procedure should be to "print" a
    PDF file. From the Print dialog pick the PDF driver.

    --
    Jim
    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Mats Samson
    Guest

    Re: Saving as .pdf

    Hi Ryan,
    I found this discussion between RC and Darcy from July last year in Excel
    General Questions with the header “Macro printing to a file” and I managed to
    solve the PDF saving problem. The original suggestion was to save numerous
    files, I’m saving only one at a time. I’m running Excel 2003 and Acrobat 6.0.
    The trick to get rid of the saving prompt was to change the printer
    properties in the Control Panel – Printers and Faxes – Adobe PDF – Properties
    – Printing defaults.
    You cannot set these properties permanently within the properties in Excel,
    as soon you have reset to your Standard Printer the options are selected
    again.
    Clear the selections for “Prompt for Adobe PDF filename” AND “Do not send
    fonts to “Adobe PDF””. Both are important, the latter for the driver to make
    the Postscript files that’ll be deleted after conversion to PDF-files.
    Here’s my code:

    '**** PDF Creator
    Public Sub PrintPDF(DCSel, IXSel)
    Dim pdfDist As New ACRODISTXLib.PdfDistiller
    Dim pdfPrinter, pdfName
    StdPrinter = Application.ActivePrinter
    pdfUser = "pdf" & Application.UserName
    pdfPrinter = Range(pdfUser).Value
    pdfFilePath = "P:\"
    pdfName = Range(DCSel) & " - " & Range(IXSel) & " - " _
    & Range("PN1") & " - " & Format(Range("DocDate"), "YYMMDD")
    psFileName = pdfFilePath & "\" & pdfName & ".PS"
    pdfFileName = Left(psFileName, Len(psFileName) - 2) & "pdf"
    Sheets("PrintDoc").Select
    ActiveWindow.SelectedSheets.PrintOut Copies:=1, preview:=False,
    ActivePrinter:=pdfPrinter, _
    printtofile:=True, collate:=True, PrToFileName:=psFileName
    pdfDist.FileToPDF psFileName, pdfFileName, ""
    Set pdfDist = Nothing
    fs.DeleteFile pdfFilePath & "\*.PS"
    fs.DeleteFile pdfFilePath & "\*.LOG"
    Application.ActivePrinter = StdPrinter
    End Sub
    '*** End PDF Creator

    A couple of notes:
    As my colleagues are using the same program but does not necessarily have
    the same Adobe driver on the same port, (mine is “Adobe PDF on NE06:”)
    I have put the various users printer names in the workbook and the program
    looks the appropriate user up and select his/her printer.
    Furthermore I created our special naming structure of the document set by
    the programs previous selections/conditions. Please note that the pdfName
    shall not have any “.pdf” extension.
    Good Luck!

  4. #4
    Cindy
    Guest

    Re: Saving as .pdf

    Mats,

    This post was a life saver for me. Now I have one more trick I want to try.

    I'm calling my printpdf sub and I want to send it three things: The name of
    the PostScript file to create, the name of the PDF file to create, and the
    name of the Worksheet I want to use.

    I can't seem to figure out how to set the worksheet. Won't the
    ActiveWindow.Selected.Sheets.Printout just pick the active sheet? (Pardin my
    ignorance...I'm new at this.)

    I don't see any parameters available to set. I'm sure I'm just missing the
    obvious here.

    Again, thanks for the post.

    Regards,

    Cindy W.

  5. #5
    Mats Samson
    Guest

    Re: Saving as .pdf

    Hello Cindy,
    you’re right, but my project has a main procedure calling several
    sub-procedures prior to the PrintPDF; selecting the right document, printing
    on paper and setting original and number of copies. The proper sheet is
    already selected and the printing to the PDFPrinter is the last procedure.
    The sheet is selected via: Worksheets("PrintDoc").Select

    If I get you right your have CALLED the PrintPDF from another procedure,
    where you already decided about the name of the files. You can simply call
    the PrintPDF together with these parameters as follows:

    Sub Print ()
    Sheets(“PrintDoc”).Select
    psFileName= “MyPSFile”
    pdfFileName = “MyPDFFile”
    Call PrintPDF (psFileName, pdfFileName)
    End Sub

    Sub PrintPDF(psFileName, pdfFileName)
    ......do the PDF stuff
    Worksheets(“System”).Activate
    End Sub

    I’ve added a new last parameter so the originating worksheet always is
    activated again. I hope this will work for you, otherwise turn back!
    Regards
    Mats

  6. #6
    Cindy
    Guest

    Re: Saving as .pdf

    Mats,

    Thank you! Thank You! Thank You!!!

    It worked like a charm! I like the idea of returning the user to the
    original activated sheet.

    Again, you saved me hours of time! I really appreciate it!

    Cindy W.