3+ Dynamic Dependent dropdowns?

  1. #1
    KD
    Guest

    3+ Dynamic Dependent dropdowns?

    Does any one know a more efficient routine?

    http://www.xldynamic.com/source/xld.Dropdowns.html is pretty easy to
    get bogged down in.

    Say it's Continent=>Country=>State=>City=>Street=>number

    I think I am getting to the point where I need VB.NET or C#. Have any
    of you made the transition with the intention of improving your
    spreadsheet applications? I am in Energy Risk Management and we deploy
    Excel models all the time, but Excel can be squirrely when your talking
    about 6 cascading comboboxes on a userform. It's also not very secure.

    I know it's two threads. I am most interested in the first question.
    On the second I am fatalistic (I have to learn it, so who cares if
    learning C# hurts.) Food for thought.

    Thanks and Cheers,

    James

  2. #2
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: 3+ Dynamic Dependent dropdowns?

    VB.NET will not solve that problem, it is a logic issue which would remain
    in VB.NET, so you have to work out a way of constructing the data so that
    you can access. I agree my technique gets very messy after 3 combos, so
    maybe the best way is just to list all the addresses and dynamically extract
    the relevant data.

    So you would

    Build a unique list of continents and load into Combo 1.
    On selection from combo 1, build a unique list of all countries in that
    continent, and load combo 2
    etc.
    etc.

    Not very difficult, even without VB.NET.

    Bob Phillips

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    KD
    Guest

    Re: 3+ Dynamic Dependent dropdowns?

    Thanks Bob for your quick response. I will use the method you
    recommend.

    The logic problem would still exist, but doesn't VB.NET provide for
    more robust forms. Just messing around in SharpDevelop Windows forms I
    was able to build a very complicated cascading menu in no time. Is
    there a way I can make this form into a control that is usable on a
    userform. I realize this may be 'nuking-it-out' but the interface is
    very nice, and having this capability may be useful in the future.
    Also, this may be a question for a SharpDevelop group?

    Cheers,
    James

  4. #4
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: 3+ Dynamic Dependent dropdowns?

    James,

    I know nothing about SharpDevelop (didn't even know about it, so thanks for
    that lead), but my guess is that someone has seen the need for such a
    control and so has developed it. I am sure it would be just as easy (hard)
    to build such a control in VB (not offering BTW <vbg>), just hasn't been
    done yet. Again, it is not the environment doing that, it is the foresight
    of some particular developer ( the beauty of OpenSource).

    I agree the .Net environment is powerful, but it also has many difficulties
    for those of us working in the open market.

    Regards

    Bob