Is there a way to automate google searches into excel?

  1. #1

    Is there a way to automate google searches into excel?

    I want two columns in an excel file. (very large with 35,000+ rows)
    The column A has names of customers and for column B I want to
    have a hyperlink to each customer via search by google.

    Example: If column A of row 1 was "Boeing". Then column B of row 1
    is http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...=Google+Search

    I don't want the DIRECT company website (ie not www.boeing.com)
    But the GOOGLE search of it.

    SInce the list is over 35,000 rows it would be very time consuming to search one by one in google and copy and paste the goolge search url. Is there a automated way /via batch file writting that I can let one excel file convert alll the names in column a into finished google search urls in column B without having to do them one by one???

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Light
    Guest

    RE: Is there a way to automate google searches into excel?

    Can you set up column B as a concatentation of the google website and column
    A -

    i.e. B2 is
    ="http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=" & A2 & "&btnG=Google+Search"

    you might then have to copy paste special back in to get the hyperlinks.

    I tested with boeing and concorde and it seemed to work.

    Regards

  3. #3
    Thanks the code is working.

    One more question, I don't want it to do that for every row,
    only those I highlighted in a particular color (ie Red)
    but if I drag down the entire column is there a conditional formatting that can
    let it apply only when the cell is formated a certain color?

    Thanks

  4. #4
    Pete_UK
    Guest

    Re: Is there a way to automate google searches into excel?

    Is you red colour applied manually or via conditional formatting? If it
    is conditionally formatted, then the formula which applies it could be
    entered into another column to return some value (like "R"). Then you
    could apply a filter to that column looking for "R" and then copy your
    google search formula from above only into the visible rows.

    Hope this helps.

    Pete

  5. #5
    Hi, Thanks for the response.

    Actually I was hoping to do it with a macro if possible.

    I have a long column 'L' with more than 35000+ rows.
    About 20% of the entire column (~7000) fields/cells of L
    are formatted violet (the interior color of the cell is violet)
    The rest of the cells are white/nonformatted in color

    However the color/noncolor is RANDOM and does not follow a pattern.

    I would like to have a macro that tests if that cell is violet first,
    then if yes, let it process the cell.

    Here is what I am trying to do but the code does not work/compile correctly

    Option Explicit

    Sub CheckColorExiststhengetgoogleurl()

    For Each cell in column L from L1 to L31886

    If Cell.Interior.ColorIndex = 13 Then
    Cell.formula = =HYPERLINK("http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=" & C1 & "+" & H1 & "&btnG=Google+Search")

    End If
    Next Cell

    End Sub

    thanks

  6. #6
    Denver, CO
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2007

    Re: Is there a way to automate google searches into excel?

    Hi,
    I am looking to do just the opposite. Return the website address. That is,"www.boeing.com" I am in almost the same delima. I have a spreadsheet of a few thousand raw business names in column A1. For this example, A1 contains the name Boeing and A2 contains the name Concord, etc. I'd like B1 to read www.boeing.com. Can this be achieved in a macro preferably? Thanks

  7. #7
    Forum Contributor arlu1201's Avatar
    Bangalore, India
    MS-Off Ver
    Excel 2003 & 2007
    Posts
    19,166

    Re: Is there a way to automate google searches into excel?

    Black Starlin,

    Unfortunately you need to post your question in a new thread, it's against the forum rules to post a question in the thread of another user. If you create your own thread, any advice will be tailored to your situation so you should include a description of what you've done and are trying to do. Also, if you feel that this thread is particularly relevant to what you are trying to do, you can surely include a link to it in your new thread.
    If I have helped, Don't forget to add to my reputation (click on the star below the post)
    Don't forget to mark threads as "Solved" (Thread Tools->Mark thread as Solved)
    Use code tags when posting your VBA code: [code] Your code here [/code]