VBA Training

  1. #1
    Aberdeen

    VBA Training

    Hi, Can anyone advise the best way to learn VBA?

    Is it via books? and if so what's a good one to start with?, Do I get one on one tuition?

    I am a beginner in VBA, however have used excel fo 10 years or so. I am fairly conversant with formula, in that I use certain functions regularly, e.g sumproduct, vlookup, pivot tables, I can build simple macros, concatenate, replace, mid, left, right, substitute. I realise that I am only using a very, very small percant of excel capabilities, but in order to develop some ideas would love to know how the coding works, the basic blocks to start with.

    Any help greatly received.

    Thanks

  2. #2

    Re: VBA Training

    Hi
    start with a project close to you that you really feel should be
    automated.
    Get the two books "Excel VBA for Dummies" by John Walfenbach and "Excel
    2002 VBA" by Stephen Bullen, John Green, Rob Bovey and Robert
    Rosenberg.
    Look at this newsgroup everyday. Search this newsgroup for particular
    problems you come across or clarifications you might require. You will
    be extremely unlucky not to find what you want. Ask short detailed
    questions here and look for answers within the hour or they will scroll
    off the screen.

    regards
    Paul

  3. #3
    Martin
    Guest

    RE: VBA Training

    I'd recommend a day or two's training to start with - just because that's the
    quickest way to cover a lot of ground. Then practice yourself, recording
    macros where necessary to give you the code you need (I've been using
    VBA/ExcelBasic over 10 years and still use the recorder most days!). Then,
    after a few weeks/months, perhaps a more advanced training session having
    listed a load of questions to ask the trainer.

    Obviously choose well on the training: make sure you see a full agenda with
    all the topics you'd like to cover (which should include variables and
    looping as well as the usual Excel tasks - most importantly dealing with
    flexible ranges). Try and find a recommendation from someone as to the
    actual trainer as it can prove very disappointing to get someone who doesn't
    know enough or, worse, is an expert but doesn't explain well (far too many of
    them - especially in the world of computers, the eternal refuge of the
    terminally inarticulate!).

  4. #4
    Debra Dalgleish
    Guest

    Re: VBA Training

    How do you learn other things? If you like to learn on your own, using a
    book, then that's a good way to learn VBA. There's a book list here:

    http://www.contextures.com/xlbooks.html

    Go to a local bookstore or library, and flip through the Excel VBA
    books, to see which writing style you like best.

    If you prefer to learn in a class, where you can see examples, and ask
    questions, then follow Martin's suggestions for finding a class.

    There are also on-line tutorials. David McRitchie has a list:

    http://www.mvps.org/dmcritchie/excel...m#vbatutorials

    --
    Debra Dalgleish
    Contextures