Excel Web Services in Office 2000

  1. #1
    Tim
    Guest

    Excel Web Services in Office 2000

    Hi there,

    I need to produce a solution where Excel 2000 connects to web services.
    The catch is that I cannot install any additional components on the
    user's machine (other than the Excel worksheet). I'm working with
    Windows 2000 Professional SP4.

    Normally I'd use the Office 2003 Web Services Toolkit, but I cannot
    install that. Is it possible to use MSXML2.0 (the version installed
    with E2k and O2kPro) to connect to a web service and grab some XML?
    Does anyone have any good sample code or places I can reference to see
    how to do this?

    Thanks!
    Tim

  2. #2
    Tim Williams
    Guest

    Re: Excel Web Services in Office 2000

    Getting a response is pretty simple:
    '*************************
    Function GetResponse(sURL As String) As String

    Dim oXHTTP As Object

    Set oXHTTP = CreateObject("MSXML2.XMLHTTP")
    oXHTTP.Open "GET", sURL, False
    oXHTTP.send
    GetSource = oXHTTP.responseText
    'GetSource = oXHTTP.responseXML
    Set oXHTTP = Nothing

    End Function
    Above example if for a "basic" web service which just takes a GET request and returns some text or XML but modifying for a POST is
    straightforward.
    Returned XML can be parsed without too much difficulty.

    How complex are the services you need to consume? Actual SOAP request/response or a simpler model?

    Tim