How do I assign point values on survey answers?

  1. #1
    MikeM
    Guest

    How do I assign point values on survey answers?

    I have a survey, some questions are Yes/No and some questions have multiple
    choice answers that are assigned different point values.

    In analyzing the answers, I want to be able to type in the answer (ie,
    Yes/No or choice a or choice a and b and have Excel assign a point value
    depending on the answer. (ie, If I type in Yes, then hit Enter, I want the
    cell to have a "1" in it.)

    Is that possible?

    Mike

  2. #2

    Re: How do I assign point values on survey answers?

    Use the Change event of the worksheet and use if statements to handle
    it

    if lcase(target.value)="yes" then target.value=1
    etc

  3. #3
    MikeM
    Guest

    Re: How do I assign point values on survey answers?

    Thanks for your help Aidan, and I had additional questions to follow-up on
    your email.....Mike

    1. I have not used "Change Event" of the worksheet? What does that do and
    what are the steps to implement it?

    2.What does the "lcase" represent? Is it question specific? How does the
    conditional formula reference the question number?
    (ie, if q1(target.value)="yes" then target.value=1 (is that how I would
    write it?)

  4. #4

    Re: How do I assign point values on survey answers?

    1 - If you look at the visual basic editor, you can see at the top of
    the right hand side a box which may well say GENERAL to start with -
    changing this to worksheet will allow you to see the events of the
    workbook - these are things like open, change etc - so you can trigger
    a macro when this event happens - obviously in your case, you want to
    run something when a cell changes - in this case it's not important
    WHICH cell, but you can pick that up with this event as well

    2 - lcase turns the text into lower case - I've done this as YES, yes,
    Yes and yES all read the same to you, but don't to VBA - so we can
    cater for any form of the letters Y E S without spaces by turning the
    value into a lower (or upper!) case string.