protect tab

  1. #1
    Andre
    Guest

    protect tab

    I'm building an Excel app that has 2 tabs; user and admin. I would like to
    have the admin tab password protected, so that if "user" opens the workbook
    and clicks on the "admin" tab, they are prompted for a password. Obviously
    this is a way of hiding the Admin tab from those who are not allowed to see
    it. Is this possible? If so, how would I go about doing it? Or is there
    another solution that is recommended?

    Thanks, Andre

  2. #2
    Valued Forum Contributor tony h's Avatar
    England: London and Lincolnshire
    Posts
    1,187
    You can hide the sheet using format...sheet...hide. But if someone tries to unhide it they can find it.

    Or going to the VBA IDE you can set the visible property of the sheet to xlveryhidden.

    Whether you need to be more secure depends on your app, the nature of your users and the risks

    regards.

  3. #3
    Andre
    Guest

    Re: protect tab

    If I used xlveryhidden, how do the 'admin' users unhide it? Do I give them
    a special keyboard combo to unhide it or something?

    Andre

  4. #4

    Re: protect tab

    First, excel's security isn't made for this kind of protection. If you put it
    in a workbook, you can expect someone to break excel's security very easily.

    If you really don't want the info on the admin worksheet to get out, don't share
    the workbook with people who shouldn't see that sheet.

  5. #5
    Andre
    Guest

    Re: protect tab

    Another option I might have is to have an admin workbook that creates a user
    workbook. Is it possible for one workbook to create another one? If so,
    can you give me a tip on how to do it - in VBA?

    Thanks, Andre

    news:[email protected]...

  6. #6

    Re: protect tab

    I don't quite understand why you wouldn't create the separate workbooks
    manually.

    And you could have a program that would create another workbook (that's easy).
    But to extract data and put it into the other workbook would depend on what you
    really needed. And that could be easy or difficult <bg>.