Circular?

  1. #1
    Dean
    Guest

    Circular?

    I have inherited a file that was set to iterative mode and I turned that off, then tried to find the circular references, as I do not like iterative approaches in very complex workbooks, since I feel they can 'solve their way' through programming errors. In any event, on one of the sheets, the cell that is identified as circular shows no dependents when I do trace dependents. Isn't that impossible?

    Thanks for any help.
    Dean

  2. #2

    Re: Circular?

    I'd bet that if excel thinks that there's a circular reference, there's a
    circular reference.

    But if you have trouble finding the circular reference, maybe Stephen Bullen's
    utility will help:

    http://www.oaltd.co.uk/Excel/Default.htm
    Look for FindCirc.zip

  3. #3
    Dean
    Guest

    Re: Circular?

    It didn't find it either. It looks like this cell is a function of cell C,
    where the obvious circularity is a chain from cell A to cell E, where A
    depends on B which depends on C ... which depends on E, which depends back
    on A.

    So, though C is in the middle of that chain, I still wouldn't expect it to
    cause a dependent cell, which is not in that chain, to show as circular,
    would you?

    In other words, if I change cell A to a number, all circularity goes away.

    Thanks!

    DO

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4

    Re: Circular?

    If you change A1 to a number and the circular reference warning goes away, then
    look at the cells that are referred to in A1 (and the references in those
    references in those references).

    It sure sounds like a circular reference to me.

  5. #5
    Dean
    Guest

    Re: Circular?

    Hi Dave,

    I'm a little confused. The trace circular tells me exactly the chain, it identifies cell A, which depends on B .... D, which depends on E, which depends on cell A, an obvious circular loop. Obviously, if I break the chain anywhere between A and E, the circularity goes away, including that of "Joe" (defined later).

    The cell that I call C is in the middle of that chain and the cell (let's call it "Joe") on another worksheet that shows as circular was the only remaining issue. I guess Joe is, at best, only second generation circular, in that it depends on a cell (cell C) that is in the chain. But what confuses me most is that this Joe shows no dependents and I have no doubt that is true, since it is on a results summary exhibit, not to mention that nothing changes at all if I delete Joe.

    Is the answer that EXCEL gets a little confused in the face of circularity, sort of a guilt by association?

    Thanks!
    Dean

  6. #6

    Re: Circular?

    First, this is a plain text newsgroups. Most people don't like HTML posts (and
    binary attachments).

    I've never seen excel confused about circular references. But I have seen me
    struggle to find them.

    (I'd keep looking <bg>.)

  7. #7
    Dave Patrick
    Guest

    Re: Circular?

    Isn't it possible the circular reference is wholly contained within the cell
    formula?

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

  8. #8

    Re: Circular?

    Like putting
    =A1
    in A1

    or
    =a1+b1+a1+c1
    in A1

    But I would think/hope that this would be easier to find <vbg>.

  9. #9
    Dave Patrick
    Guest

    Re: Circular?