Protecting formatted cells.

  1. #1
    Peter Ostermann
    Guest

    Protecting formatted cells.

    Hi folks,

    is it possible to unprotect cells but keep the
    "formatting" protected? Just to conserve lines, that are
    surrounding cells, etc.? Not to let them be overwritten
    by mistake, when pasting copied values?

    It would be very surprising to me if that would not
    be possible in Excel (2k).

    Peter

  2. #2
    gerry
    Guest

    Re: Protecting formatted cells.

    It is possible but may be not in the way you think. A cell is not
    protected it is either locked or not. It is the sheet and/or workbook
    that can be protected. When a sheet is protected it prevents any
    formatting changes (although this is configurable on Excel 2003 when a
    sheet is protected but by default not enabled). In addition it prevents
    the values in cells from being altered if the cell is locked. By
    default all cells are locked, so you have to specifically unlock all
    cells thorough the format screen that you want to modify. This
    affectively does what you want as an unlocked cell's value can be
    altered but no fomatting can be changed on any cells on the sheet.
    Typically this is used for a form where only data entry boxes are
    unlocked. This also give a a good side effect in that whan a sheet is
    protected hitting tab key steps from one unlocked cell to the next

  3. #3
    Peter Ostermann
    Guest

    Re: Protecting formatted cells.

    "gerry" <[email protected]> wrote:

    Hi Gerry,

    > In addition it prevents
    > the values in cells from being altered if the cell is locked. By
    > default all cells are locked, so you have to specifically unlock all
    > cells thorough the format screen that you want to modify.

    Most of the cells got to be locked.
    The making IMHO is: First unprotecting the sheet.
    Second selecting all cells and locking them.

    Next step is to protect the sheet (to "set" the
    cell locking - I wonder if this step can be avoided).
    Then unprotect it again.

    Third is to unlock the cells which got to be open
    for to allow their value being changed.
    But this removes also the locking of the cells
    formatting and by that the protection against
    overwriting the format.

    > This
    > affectively does what you want as an unlocked cell's value can be
    > altered but no formatting can be changed on any cells on the sheet.

    It is not the fact. Please point out what is wrong in my above
    description.

  4. #4
    Peter Ostermann
    Guest

    Re: Protecting formatted cells.

    "gerry" <[email protected]> wrote

    >By default all cells are locked, so you have to specifically unlock all
    > cells thorough the format screen that you want to modify. This
    > affectively does what you want as an unlocked cell's value can be
    > altered but no fomatting can be changed on any cells on the sheet.

    What do you mean with "format screen" ?