Changing the Negative Sign

  1. #1
    tedd13
    Guest

    Changing the Negative Sign

    I have a file that I import into Excel. The negative sign on some of the
    amounts is at the end of the number. Example: 2,778.69-.
    Excel dosn't know that this is a negative amount. Is there an easy way to
    move the sign to the font of the number or to reformat the cell to show that
    it is a negative amount?
    Thanks

  2. #2
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    RE: Changing the Negative Sign

    Dim s as String
    Dim cell as Range
    for each cell in selection.specialCells(xlConstants,xlTextValues)
    s = trim(cell)
    if isnumeric(s)
    cell.value = cdbl(s)
    end if
    Next

    Tom Ogilvy

  3. #3
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: Changing the Negative Sign

    You could transform it into an adjacent column

    =IF(RIGHT(A1)="-",-1*LEFT(A1,LEN(A1)-1),A1)

    Bob Phillips

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    tedd13
    Guest

    RE: Changing the Negative Sign

    Tom,
    That code worked. However, it errors out if it there are no negative signs
    in the column I am looking at. I have six columns that may or may not have
    negative signs.
    Any ideas about how to code around that?
    Thanks

  5. #5
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    RE: Changing the Negative Sign

    Dim s as String
    Dim cell as Range, rng as Range
    On Error Resume Next
    set rng = selection.specialCells(xlConstants,xlTextValues)
    On Error goto 0
    if not rng is nothing then
    for each cell in
    s = trim(cell)
    if isnumeric(s)
    cell.value = cdbl(s)
    end if
    Next
    end If

    Tom Ogilvy

  6. #6
    AA2e72E
    Guest

    RE: Changing the Negative Sign

    format("98.34-","0.00")

    returns -98.34

    works as long as the first argument is numeric to humans