Conditional formatting based on conditions in other cells.

  1. #1
    manxman
    Guest

    Conditional formatting based on conditions in other cells.

    I have a form where I want the last entry in a column of numbers to be
    underlined. Always entering from the top down, I want it so that if there is
    one entry, it would be underlined, but if more entries are made, the
    underline would always be under the last entry. The column is generally of
    fixed length, although I do need to expand it on occasion.

    How do I code this? Conditional formatting seems to be based only on the
    conditions in that cell, not other cells. I assume I’ll need to go to VBA.
    Thanks in advance for any help.

  2. #2
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    RE: Conditional formatting based on conditions in other cells.

    In conditional formatting, if you change the

    Cell value is

    Formula is
    in the dropdown, you can write a formula that is not dependent on the value
    of the active cell.

    If the column will not have embedded blanks - so if the next cell is blank,
    then do the underline, you could select the column with the cell in row 1 as
    the activecell and do (assume column C with C1 active)

    formula is =$C1=""

    then set the formatting to underline

    Tom Ogilvy

  3. #3
    manxman
    Guest

    RE: Conditional formatting based on conditions in other cells.

    Actually the column does have embedded blanks. Every third cell can have
    entries. But you have given me the key by showing me how conditional
    formatting can be based on other cells, so I'm going to play with this for
    awhile and see if I can make it work. If I can't, I'll post another question
    called "Conditional formatting revisited - blank cells". Thank you very much
    for your help.