Closed Thread
Results 1 to 7 of 7

Have drawing object automatically move around point on graph axis

  1. #1
    Jeff
    Guest

    Have drawing object automatically move around point on graph axis

    I would like to have a rectanglar drawing object representing two standard
    deviations shown and automatically move around a value on a normal curve. I
    have plotted a second point in the graph referring to the IQ score and have
    copied a shape to become the new custom marker for the point so that the
    rectangle shows an area about 2 standard deviations around the IQ. However,
    the custom marker hangs below the x-axis, whereas I would prefer that it not
    hang down below the x-axis. I would like the rectangle to extend above the
    x-axis however. Suggestions?

    Below is a link to the file I'm working on as well. Any help would be
    appreciated.

    http://www.geocities.com/jeff_k.geo/NormalCurve.xls

  2. #2
    Ken Johnson
    Guest

    Re: Have drawing object automatically move around point on graph axis

    Hi Jeff,
    This probably isn't the solution.
    However, will it work if your custom marker is a rectangle whose top
    half is yellow fill and bottom half is no fill. Such a marker could be
    constructed by positioning a filled rectangle on to the top edge of an
    identical sized rectangle with no fill, then grouping them together.

    If you don't get a solution here then try
    microsoft.public.excel.charting

    Ken Johnson

  3. #3
    Andy Pope
    Guest

    Re: Have drawing object automatically move around point on graphaxis

    Hi,

    Add 2 data series. Change both new series to stack bar chart.
    The first of these new series should have a value equal to the lowest
    value. The 2nd should have a value equal to the width of the shaded area.
    In order to complete the chart you will need to,
    Format the 1st series to have no fill or border.
    Format the 2nd series to have no border, Yellow fill, Series Options Gap
    Width of zero.
    Format secondary x axis to have the same min and max scale values as the
    primary x axis.

    Cheers
    Andy

    --

    Andy Pope, Microsoft MVP - Excel
    http://www.andypope.info

  4. #4
    Jeff
    Guest

    Re: Have drawing object automatically move around point on graph axis

    Ken,
    Thank you for the response. Your suggestion may work, but is there a way I
    can automatically have the object width scaled to a specified number of
    standard deviations I'd like to highlight (i.e., number in cell N2)?
    Jeff

    news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    Jeff
    Guest

    Re: Have drawing object automatically move around point on graph axis

    How do I change just those series to a stack bar/column chart?

    news:[email protected]...

  6. #6
    Andy Pope
    Guest

    Re: Have drawing object automatically move around point on graphaxis

    Select it and then via the menu Chart > Chart Type.

    You can use the cursor keys to cycle through the chart elements if the
    data series is not easy to click with the mouse.

  7. #7
    Jeff
    Guest

    Re: Have drawing object automatically move around point on graph axis

    Hmm... I tried that and every time I have Excel crashes.

    File Version : 11.0.6555.0
    File Description : Microsoft Application Error Reporting (DW20.EXE)
    File Path : C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\DW\DW20.EXE
    Process ID : 0xB78 (Heximal) 2936 (Decimal)

    Binary dump of the packet:
    0000: 00 13 10 D0 DF 26 00 13 : D3 29 8C AB 08 00 45 00 | .....&...)....E.
    0010: 00 30 71 E7 40 00 80 06 : D0 4C C0 A8 01 64 83 6B | [email protected]
    0020: 73 1C 06 9D 00 50 38 C0 : 99 2B 00 00 00 00 70 02 | s....P8..+....p.
    0030: FF FF F1 B2 00 00 02 04 : 05 B4 01 01 04 02 69 6C | ..............il

    "Andy Pope" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:%[email protected]...
    > Select it and then via the menu Chart > Chart Type.
    >
    > You can use the cursor keys to cycle through the chart elements if the
    > data series is not easy to click with the mouse.
    >
    > Jeff wrote:
    >> How do I change just those series to a stack bar/column chart?
    >>

    >> "Andy Pope" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]...
    >>
    >>>Hi,
    >>>
    >>>Add 2 data series. Change both new series to stack bar chart.
    >>>The first of these new series should have a value equal to the lowest
    >>>value. The 2nd should have a value equal to the width of the shaded area.
    >>>In order to complete the chart you will need to,
    >>>Format the 1st series to have no fill or border.
    >>>Format the 2nd series to have no border, Yellow fill, Series Options Gap
    >>>Width of zero.
    >>>Format secondary x axis to have the same min and max scale values as the
    >>>primary x axis.
    >>>
    >>>Cheers
    >>>Andy

    > --