EXECL.EXE command line

  1. #1
    Maxwell2006
    Guest

    EXECL.EXE command line

    Hi,

    I have an xls file that contains a VB macro named LOAD_DATA. The macro loads
    some data into xls file.

    I need to run LOAD_DATA macro every night through scheduled tasks. Is there
    any command line to do that?

    I there any better way to run a macro inside an excel file through scheduled
    tasks?

    Thank you,

    Max

  2. #2
    Tim Williams
    Guest

    Re: EXECL.EXE command line

    Place your code in the workbook_open routine and just open the file using task manager.
    The code will run automatically.

    --
    Tim Williams
    Palo Alto, CA

  3. #3
    Chip Pearson
    Guest

    Re: EXECL.EXE command line

    You can't include in the command line a startup macro name. You
    can use the Workbook_Open event procedure in the ThisWorkbook
    code module to have code execute when the workbook is opened.

    --
    Cordially,
    Chip Pearson

  4. #4
    Maxwell2006
    Guest

    Re: EXECL.EXE command line

    Hi Chip,

    Thanks for help.

    Is there anyway that my code can distinguish between being open by user or
    being open by scheduled task?

    Max

    news:%[email protected]...

  5. #5
    Chip Pearson
    Guest

    Re: EXECL.EXE command line

    I don't believe so. I suppose you could check the time and if it
    is within a reasonable margin of your scheduled time, you could
    assume it was opened by the scheduler, not a user. This would
    work well if you open it up late at night when users wouldn't be
    using it. But as far as some property of the workbook itself, I
    don't think there is anything to help you out.

  6. #6
    AA2e72E
    Guest

    RE: EXECL.EXE command line

    I have no experience of scheduling Excel tasks; therefore I cannot comment.

    If you Start | Run [Schedule] the following:

    "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE" /p c:\ "book1.xls"

    where:

    1. you are overriding the default path to c:\ (specify your location)
    2. making Excel to open workbook book1.xls (specify your name) located in c:\

    Your code/macro can run automatically if you include it in or call it from
    the Workbook_Open event. In this event, you can save the updated workbook at
    your desired location using ActiveWorkbook.SaveAs (see help file)

    In order to find out how excel was started, you might try in ThisWorkbook
    module:

    Private Declare Function GetCommandLine Lib "kernel32" Alias
    "GetCommandLineA" () As Long
    Private Declare Function lstrlen Lib "kernel32" Alias "lstrlenA" (ByVal
    lpString As Long) As Long
    Private Declare Sub CopyMemory Lib "kernel32" Alias "RtlMoveMemory" (pDst As
    Any, pSrc As Any, ByVal ByteLen As Long)

    Private Function CommandLine() As String
    Dim RetCode As Long, RetLength As Long
    Dim RetBuffer As String
    RetCode = GetCommandLine()
    RetLength = lstrlen(RetCode)
    If RetLength > 0 Then
    CommandLine = Space$(RetLength)
    CopyMemory ByVal CommandLine, ByVal RetCode, RetLength
    Debug.Print CommandLine
    End If
    End Function

    Your immediate window shows:

    "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE" /p c:\

    Perhaos the /p switch is your key to knowing that Excel is running as a
    scheduled task?

  7. #7
    AA2e72E
    Guest

    RE: EXECL.EXE command line

    I investigated scheduled tasks:

    in Run,

    "C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Microsoft
    Office\Microsoft Office Excel 2003.lnk" book1.xls

    in Start-in

    c:\

    CommandLine gives

    "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\EXCEL.EXE" book1.xls

    However:

    On opening, the Macro security dialogue pops up unless it is set to Low.