How to Get Date of Each Cell....

  1. #1
    mvyvoda
    Guest

    How to Get Date of Each Cell....

    I need to highlight each cell in a column that satisfies anything earlier
    than the current date+1 (e.g. anything earlier than 2006-06. June '06). They
    have to be processed as strings, thus the fist two lines.

    s_current = Format(DateSerial(Year(Date), Month(Date), Day(Date)), "yyyy-mm")
    s_past = Format(DateSerial(Year(Date), Month(Date) - 1, 1), "yyyy-mm")
    Application.Goto Reference:="MP_Start"
    myMPStartColumn = ActiveCell.Column
    Set rng = ActiveCell.EntireRow
    For Each cell In rng
    If s_current >= s_past Then
    With Selection.Interior
    .ColorIndex = 3
    .Pattern = xlSolid
    End With
    End If
    Next

    I know this isn't doing anything (I need to do something with "cell"). How
    to I evalutate each cell in the colume and compare it against the current
    date, thus being able to highlight, given that criteria?

    Please help!

    Thanks,
    Mark

  2. #2
    Brian Taylor
    Guest

    Re: How to Get Date of Each Cell....

    Have you tried conditional formatting?

    "formula is" =DateValue(A1)<(today()+1)

  3. #3
    mvyvoda
    Guest

    Re: How to Get Date of Each Cell....

    Brian,

    I get an error when i enter this:

    s_current = Format(DateSerial(Year(Date), Month(Date), Day(Date)),
    "yyyy-mm")
    s_past = Format(DateSerial(Year(Date), Month(Date) - 1, 1), "yyyy-mm")
    Application.Goto Reference:="MP_Start"
    myMPStartColumn = ActiveCell.Column
    Set rng = ActiveCell.EntireRow
    For Each cell In rng
    If DateValue(cell) <= s_past Then
    With Selection.Interior
    .ColorIndex = 3
    .Pattern = xlSolid
    End With
    End If
    Next

    I think we're getting closer. I really really appreciate your help!!!

    -m

  4. #4
    mvyvoda
    Guest

    Re: How to Get Date of Each Cell....

    I get a type mismatch error. Is this because of the string thing?

    Thanks,
    Mark

  5. #5
    Brian Taylor
    Guest

    Re: How to Get Date of Each Cell....

    Conditional formatting would be much simpler than writing code. Have
    you already tried that option?

    You would need to change your code a little to make it work. Here is
    some untested code to take a look at:

    Sub test()
    Set rng = ActiveCell.EntireRow
    For Each Cell In rng
    If DateValue(Cell.Value) <= (Now() - 1) Then
    With Cell.Interior
    .ColorIndex = 3
    .Pattern = xlSolid
    End With
    End If
    Next
    End Sub

  6. #6
    mvyvoda
    Guest

    Re: How to Get Date of Each Cell....

    conditional formatting it is! it works this way, but it's weird because i
    can't change the cells back to no color... even manually.

    is this a side affect of running conditional formatting via macro?

    thanks,
    mark

  7. #7
    Brian Taylor
    Guest

    Re: How to Get Date of Each Cell....

    You should be able to change the cells back to no fill. It should not
    be a permanent fill change. The only thing that would keep you from
    changing the cell color back is if you had put the procedure in the
    selection change event. In which it would keep on applying the change
    everytime you select a new cell.