Limits to using Call

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    BEEJAY
    Guest

    Limits to using Call

    Greetings:
    I have a new module, consisting of many "subs"
    Each one is actually quite small, but very understandable, since each one
    refers to one sheet.
    Question:
    Does the use of many subs (Calls) noticibly affect spead of proceedures?
    Is there any limit to the number of subs one can use within a module or
    workbook or............

    Thanks

  2. #2
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    RE: Limits to using Call

    It takes longer to call a sub to execute some code than it does to execute it
    inline.

    that said, it is not a significant performance problem and the benefits
    probably outweigh the penalties.

    The only limitation I am aware of is that if you exported a module to a bas
    file, the size of the bas file should be less than 64K. This isn't a
    published limitation, but many have stated it as a rule of thumb which if
    ignored can cause problems.

    That really has no effect on the number of procedures which I am not aware
    of any limit.

    At the same time, from a maintenance standpoint, I suppose you can go
    overboard.

    Tom Ogilvy

  3. #3
    Jim Thomlinson
    Guest

    RE: Limits to using Call

    To further what Tom has said, where you have a real need for speed
    (performance is noticably poor) then keep function or procedure calls out of
    large loops (a few thousand loops or more). There is overhead associated with
    every call so if it is in a loop it can become significant. If it is just
    regular sequential code then there really is no benefit to 'in lining" your
    subs or functions, and maintenance will often be easier if you break your
    code up into multiple subs or functions.
    --
    HTH...

    Jim Thomlinson

  4. #4
    BEEJAY
    Guest

    RE: Limits to using Call

    Tom and Jim:
    Thank You: Gives me quite some peace of mind