Running a non-microsoft app

  1. #1
    hoser78
    Guest

    Running a non-microsoft app

    I'm new at this so please bear with me. I'm trying to run a non-microsoft
    application using the vb in excel 2003. I can do it using the sendkeys
    method but I need a better way. I can't get DDEInitiate to work with the
    other application. Can anyone help?

  2. #2
    Paul
    Guest

    RE: Running a non-microsoft app

    I think you may want the Shell command

    here is an example:
    ' Specifying 1 as the second argument opens the application in
    ' normal size and gives it the focus.
    Dim RetVal
    RetVal = Shell("C:\WINDOWS\CALC.EXE", 1) ' Run Calculator.

    hope this helps

  3. #3
    Tom Ogilvy
    Guest

    RE: Running a non-microsoft app

    Look at the Shell Command.

    If you mean you want to interact with it, the possible choices are

    DDE
    Automation
    Sendkeys

    Unless it provides its own custom API.

    If it doesn't support any one or more of those, they are not options that
    will be available.

    Tom Ogilvy