How does Windows recognize the file as Excel's?

  1. #1
    Zoo
    Guest

    How does Windows recognize the file as Excel's?

    I'm using Excel2002 on Windows2000.
    I had a book whose name is a.xls.
    And I changed its name to a.ddd in order not to start Excel.exe by double
    clicking the file.
    But double-clicking the file, Excel.exe starts.
    How does Windows recognize the file as Excel's data file?

  2. #2
    keepITcool
    Guest

    Re: How does Windows recognize the file as Excel's?

    it first looks in the registry to see if it has a defined application
    for that extension. if not it looks at the first 8 bytes in the file
    and recognizes it as biff8. (excel97-2003)

    --
    keepITcool

    Zoo wrote in <news:<[email protected]>

  3. #3
    Zoo
    Guest

    Re: How does Windows recognize the file as Excel's?

    Thank you , keepITcool.
    I changed the first 2 byte of a.ddd from D0 CF to 0D FC with a binary editor
    as a test.
    Then Excel.exe no more starts.

    Can I as one more question?
    Could you tell me the URL in which the meaning of the first 8 bytes of biff8
    is decribed?

    news:[email protected]...

  4. #4
    keepITcool
    Guest

    Re: How does Windows recognize the file as Excel's?

    it's an identifier used for OLE and ATL.
    i havent got any indepth knowledge of this.

    personally i wouldn't fiddle with the bits
    other than for testing and curiosity.

  5. #5
    Zoo
    Guest

    Re: How does Windows recognize the file as Excel's?

    Thank you for quick replying .
    It seems difficult to understand the exact meaning.
    Any way , thanks to you, I succeeded in preventing from Excel starting.

  6. #6
    Jeff Standen
    Guest

    Re: How does Windows recognize the file as Excel's?

    But your problem is that the file probobly now won't work at all. Maybe you
    should change it to .txt or something instead of fiddling with the binary
    data.

    Jeff

    news:[email protected]...

  7. #7
    Zoo
    Guest

    Re: How does Windows recognize the file as Excel's?

    Thank you Jeff.
    As you have said, changing the file extension to .txt seems easier than
    modifying the binary.
    I will try that.

    news:%[email protected]...