Please help with auto Date and Time with VBA

  1. #1
    Fonz
    Guest

    Please help with auto Date and Time with VBA

    I have been all over the place trying to do this and I am completely lost.
    Please help. I used the =Now function in excel to display the date and time
    in a cell when another cell had information entered into it. This proved to
    be nice until I realized that the adte and time was updating ANYTIME I made a
    change to anywhere on the sheet. I need the date and time to remain static
    after it appears in the active cell the first time.

    After snooping around the net, it seems that the answer is in using a VBA
    code which I have no inkling oon how to use, and the codes that were posted,
    I wouldn't know how to change to meet my specific excel sheet. Also in the
    instructions on the webpage said to right click on the sheet page and choose
    to view code, which I did got a big window that I couldn't do ANYTHING in.
    There was no place to put the code, and there are 3 items on the left, ther
    are:

    atpvbaen.xls
    funcres.xls
    VBAProject

    When I try to open any of those, there is a password, exceot the VBAProject
    which is unviewable.

    What I need is simple if anyone would be kind enough to help me out. I need
    I am guessing 2 codes.

    I need the code to display the date and time in column E if data was entered
    in the same row in column D. I also need the code to dispolay a date and time
    in column G if information has been entered in the same row in Column F. The
    date is dependent on information from only the same row and shouldn't be
    affected by information entered on another row.

    Please explain to me also what I am doing wrong that I am unable to enter
    the code into excel when right clicking on the sheet and choosing to view
    code. This would be much appreciated. Below is the code I found on the net
    that I have no idea of the functionality of it. Thanks in advance for all who
    help.

    Dim rng As Range
    ' Only look at single cell changes
    If Target.Count > 1 Then Exit Sub
    Set rng = Range("B:B")
    ' Only look at that range
    If Intersect(Target, rng) Is Nothing Then Exit Sub
    ' Add the Date in Column C whenever an entry is made in the same row in
    Column B
    If Target <> "" Then Target.Offset(, +1) = Date
    ' Clear the cell in Column C if the same row in Column B is cleared
    If Target = "" Then Target.Offset(, +1) = ""
    End Sub

  2. #2
    Jim Thomlinson
    Guest

    RE: Please help with auto Date and Time with VBA

    You need to place this code into a standard code module (not directly into
    the sheet). To create a standard code module just record a macro (anything
    will do). Right click on any tab and select view code. Now in the project
    explorer double click on the Module. You should now see the VBA for the macro
    you just recorded. You can delete all of the code in here if you wish. Now
    paste this code...

    Public Function StaticDate() As Date
    StaticDate = Now()
    End Function

    In your spreadhseet you can now enter the formula

    =StaticDate()

    Into any cell and the date will appear ( you may need to change the
    formatting). This date will not change...
    --
    HTH...

    Jim Thomlinson

  3. #3
    Fonz
    Guest

    RE: Please help with auto Date and Time with VBA

    Will that also add the time or just the date? I need both time and date to
    appear in the cell. Also, How do you record a macro?

  4. #4
    Jim Thomlinson
    Guest

    RE: Please help with auto Date and Time with VBA

    Yes that is time and date. How about this lets just skip the recording of a
    macro. Right click the sheet tab and select view code. On the left should be
    the project explorer. In the explorer you will see atpvbaen.xls, ... and your
    current spreadsheet. You will see something like Sheet1(The Sheet name),
    Sheet2(The Sheet name). From the Menu click Insert -> Module. A module will
    be added to your workbook (Called Module1). Double click on this module and
    paste the code...
    --
    HTH...

    Jim Thomlinson

  5. #5
    Fonz
    Guest

    RE: Please help with auto Date and Time with VBA

    I did as you said, from your first post as there wasn't sheet 1 or 2 in the
    left pane, added the code after deleting what the macro posted, now I have
    this in a cell.

    =IF(D2=0,"",StaticDate())

    The cell is indeed blank if d2=0, but when I enter a value into D2, I get
    #NAME? error. What went wrong?

    Thanks

  6. #6
    Jim Thomlinson
    Guest

    RE: Please help with auto Date and Time with VBA

    In excel palce the cursor in a blank cell. Now select Insert -> Function. IN
    the Category Drop down select User Defined. Scroll through the options. If
    you have successfully enetered the code I gave you into a standard module
    then StaticDate will be listed as an option. Let me know how that goes...
    --
    HTH...

    Jim Thomlinson

  7. #7
    Fonz
    Guest

    RE: Please help with auto Date and Time with VBA

    Hey man, just an update, I did as you said, found that the code was a bit
    different but entering the code you initially gave me did work, I just as you
    said, had to update the formatting and it worked like a charm. I am gonna
    keep our conversation safely placed for future reference. Thanks for your
    help.