data import question

  1. #1
    dr chuck
    Guest

    data import question

    I am trying to import data from an excel file into another excel file. The
    data contains "+" and "0" values.

    see sample of pre import data.
    1 7011 4/14/2006 A2993 + + 0 +
    2 7011 4/14/2006 B4253 + + 0 0
    3 7011 4/14/2006 C3505 + 0 + +
    4 7011 4/14/2006 D765 + 0 + 0

    it imports as the following:
    1 7011 4/14/2006 A2993
    2 7011 4/14/2006 B4253 0
    3 7011 4/14/2006 C3505 0 +
    4 7011 4/14/2006 D765 0 + 0

    why does the import delete the "0" in one column and the + in the other
    column and not allow both to be imported as the original file?????
    --
    dr chuck

  2. #2
    crazybass2
    Guest

    RE: data import question

    Chuck,

    I had similar, but different results. The columns that has both + and 0 did
    not import the +, yet the column of all + did import. I tried replacing the +
    with text and the 0's didn't import.

    I think the import function sees the data in a column as text, symbol, or
    number. So it doesn't import text if it's already importing numbers. This
    is definately one for the MicroSoft folks to explain.

    Mike

  3. #3
    dr chuck
    Guest

    RE: data import question

    thanks mike.. your observation has lead to resolution to my problem. I am
    going to change my data from "0" to "O" before import then change it back
    afterwards in a macro..
    --
    dr chuck

  4. #4