Advanced Filter vs. Macro for deleting dup rows in sheet

  1. #1
    Kermit Piper
    Guest

    Advanced Filter vs. Macro for deleting dup rows in sheet

    Hello,

    I've been using a macro for some time to delete duplicate rows from a
    sheet, but I'm also aware of being able to delete duplicate rows the
    following way:
    Data=>Filter=>Advanced Filter and selecting the unique option in the
    lower left corner.

    My question is, is there an advantage of any kind in using the macro?
    The sheet that we delete dups from is then used as import data and I've
    heard something about problems with this because Excel hides the rows
    and not actually removes them, but I couldn't see that this was
    actaully happening. In any case, if someone could explain what the
    advantage to a macro would be I would really appreciate it. This info
    will help me offer an intelligent response to someone (*cough*) who is
    asking.

    Thanks in advance,
    KP

  2. #2
    kassie
    Guest

    RE: Advanced Filter vs. Macro for deleting dup rows in sheet

    The filter option does not delete the rows, it merely hides them. If the
    macro deletes the rows, they stay deleted, they are gone

  3. #3
    lexcel
    Guest

    Re: Advanced Filter vs. Macro for deleting dup rows in sheet

    The best is to combine the two:
    Filter the sheet, then use a macro to delete the cells that are not
    visible.
    Maybe the Range property Specialcells(xlVisible) can be of use in this.