A fast way to fill cells in Excel

  1. #1
    Tas
    Guest

    A fast way to fill cells in Excel

    Hello there,

    I have some questions regarding this Excel Automation (I'm not an expert on
    this so please "excuse" if the questions are too trivial)...

    I try to build a small application that will generate a very large number of
    columns and rows into Excel sheets (lets say about 200 sheets each one with
    50 000 rows and 100 columns). There is a way to store "Cell" objects in
    arrays so I could lets say "create" them into this array and than add the
    array to a specific range (similar to the "Text", double, short storage into
    an array...)? Why I'm asking this is because my Cells must have a specific
    format (they are somehow structured as "BLOCKS" and this block will repeat
    itself for many times) and I need a fast way to "copy" this "block"... I
    already did a sample where I'm generatig arround 10 000 "blocks" on a sheet,
    each block containing 3 rows and 15 colums, having each cell with a different
    color and a random border. The time until it was finished was arround 31
    seconds... Can I do this faster? Any ideas are more than wellcome.

    Thanks,
    Tas

  2. #2
    RB Smissaert
    Guest

    Re: A fast way to fill cells in Excel

    Post the code and we can see if it could be done faster.

    RBS

    news:[email protected]...

  3. #3
    Tas
    Guest

    Re: A fast way to fill cells in Excel

    Excel_generator is the main class that will initialize the COM conecxion.
    I have a "sheet" member which at the calling of the following method will be
    available and pointing to the current active sheet.

    void Excel_generator::add_some_data
    ( int staring_row,
    int no_blocks,
    int block_row_length,
    int block_col_length
    )
    {
    for (int i=0;i<no_blocks;i++)
    {
    Excel_block blk
    (block_row_length,
    block_col_length,
    Excel_border::THICK,
    Excel_coordinate((staring_row+i-1)*block_row_length*2,1));

    for (int j=0;j<block_row_length;j++)
    {
    for (int k=0;k<block_col_length;k++)
    {
    blk.add_content(j, k, L" Something");
    }
    }

    blk.write_to_sheet(sheet);
    }
    }

    My Excel_block class has as variables(among others) one COleSafeArray
    content_array which will store the "data" and a static Range object generated
    only once in the actual sheet and than copied by the write_to_sheet method:
    void Excel_block::write_to_sheet(CWorksheet &sheet)
    {
    Excel_coordinate end_coordinate =
    Excel_coordinate(start_coordinate.get_row()+get_rows()-1,
    start_coordinate.get_col()+get_columns()-1);

    Excel_coordinate start_coordinate2 =
    Excel_coordinate(start_coordinate.get_row()+2*(get_rows()-1)-1,
    start_coordinate.get_col());

    char *range1=new char[10];
    start_coordinate.get_excel_coordinate(range1);
    char *range2=new char[10];
    end_coordinate.get_excel_coordinate(range2);

    CRange range = sheet.get_Range(COleVariant(range1),
    COleVariant(range2));

    if (block_format)//this is my static range object which is already generated
    {
    VARIANT copyTo;
    V_VT(&copyTo) = VT_DISPATCH;
    V_DISPATCH(&copyTo) = range;
    block_format.Copy(copyTo); // Here I copy the block to my range!!
    }

    range.put_Value2(COleVariant(content_array));//and then put my values
    content_array.Detach();

    delete range1;
    delete range2;
    }

  4. #4
    RB Smissaert
    Guest

    Re: A fast way to fill cells in Excel

    Is this C++? I don't know enough (nearly nil) of that to help.
    Maybe you could post in the microsoft.public.excel.sdk group, although it
    seems a very quiet group.
    Or maybe you could explain what the purpose of the whole exercise is and
    there might be a better way
    to do it.

  5. #5
    Tas
    Guest

    Re: A fast way to fill cells in Excel

    Yes it is a C++ "approach"... (I cannot use VB in this project ...) and I
    couldn't find more information about this. I could't find also a more
    "active" forum for c++ for this that is why I posted it here... The purpose
    is to find a fast way for formating cells with color and Border without each
    time getting the Interior and the Border of the cell (as I saw this is time
    consuming). Imagine that you have a "page" of an normal "report" (A4) with
    rows and columns (lets say 50 rows and 10 columns). Some cells from this page
    must pe formated with a special color to notify the user about the
    "importance" of the content on that cell. And imagine that you can "paste"
    the formated "block" in an excel sheed (not one per sheet but let say 10000
    per sheet, one after another). How can you do this faster? As I searched over
    the doc and the forums I have come up with this solution which is less time
    consumig: To have only once define this "Formated" block and then using the
    Copy method I'm modifying the format of all my other "ranges" (which allways
    will have the same size (but different positioning in the sheet)) and the
    fill the range with the data from an Array (wich is faster than filling each
    cell). I hope you understand what I want to do...

    Regards,
    T.

  6. #6
    RB Smissaert
    Guest

    Re: A fast way to fill cells in Excel

    Have you tried the usual things to speed up code working on sheet ranges
    such as turning off automatic calculation:

    Application.Calculation = xlManual

    'run all the sheet code here

    ActiveSheet.Calculate

    Application.Calculation = xlAutomatic

    Would it make a difference just to copy values and do the formatting at the
    end when all ranges are filled, so the formatting
    can be done on larger ranges?

    Not sure if you are doing this already, but could you manipulate Excel more
    directly with the Excel API?
    This is one for the SDK forum.

    Can't think of anything else now, but I am not much into sheet work and I am
    sure somebody will come up with some better ideas.

  7. #7
    Jim Thomlinson
    Guest

    RE: A fast way to fill cells in Excel

    Not to rain on your parade but 200 sheets * 50,000 rows x 100 columns means
    that you will be working with 1 billion cells. Excel is not really
    comfortable with that much data. Take a look at this page for some memory
    limits...

    http://www.decisionmodels.com/memlimits.htm

    Based on the amount of data you are working with you shoul really look at a
    database. It handles that volume of data much more effectively.
    --
    HTH...

    Jim Thomlinson

  8. #8
    Tas
    Guest

    RE: A fast way to fill cells in Excel

    Yes... well unfortunatlly the client wants this data into excel sheets
    generated (because he also wants the cell format...). My problem is not
    really the amount of data, and if I will work lets say with 100 times less
    cell also I will have the same problem... In my other postings I explained
    what I need to do... Anyway thanks for the advice (It seems that until now I
    have one not so easy solution... to generate myself the xls files (to
    building an Excel Generator...)).

    Regards,
    T.