What function(s) should i use?

  1. #1
    FurRelKT
    Guest

    What function(s) should i use?

    Hello All, a newbe here...

    I want to know what function(s) to use with this question.
    Question:
    -inside a cell i have the word <Null>, cells(65536,10)
    -i want to check another cell for it's value or at least a part of it's
    text value [don't want exact full string], cells(65536,4)
    -then i want to have the value from cells(65536,4) [value could be
    DEV], look up the text in a lookup table, located in another sheet from
    the main sheet
    the table would be something like... A2-DEV, B2-Development,
    A3-POC, B3-proof of concept, etc...
    -then i want it to grab the 2nd column [name-Development in B2] and
    replace <Null> value within the cells(65536,10) with [Development] as
    the name.

    Is this possible? I have been studying Vlookup and Index/Match. i am
    not sure how to go about it. Thanks all for any ideas.

    Keri Taylor

  2. #2
    Die_Another_Day
    Guest

    Re: What function(s) should i use?

    The closest I can get is to put the formula where you want the result
    like this:

    J65536 = VLookup(D65536,Sheet1!A:B,2)

    This will grab the value of cell D65536, compare it to the range A:B
    and return the value in the second column of the array.

    I'm not quite sure what you're trying to do with the null statement.
    Let me know if you need more help.

    HTH

    Die_Another_Day

  3. #3
    FurRelKT
    Guest

    Re: What function(s) should i use?

    Thanks so very much~ It does work! However i am putting in a IF
    statements like this...

    =IF(I374 = "TEST","''",VLOOKUP(I374,Clients!$A$2:$B$296,2,TRUE))

    I want it to check if the value is TEST, if it is then leave it, else
    go to the lookup table to find the correct lookup for the value.
    Is there a way to leave the cell value? I put "" but that is not right.
    What do i need to put in the condition if it is true to just leave the
    contents of the cell the way it is? Thanks for any help provided.

    Keri~