out of memory problem! what to do for large matrix operations?

  1. #1
    MCM
    Guest

    out of memory problem! what to do for large matrix operations?

    hi guys,

    I am trying to solve some big numerical problems with VBA excel code
    but when the dimension of matrix reaches to a critical number, for
    example 7000x7000, compiler gives
    "out of memory" problem. what to do in this situation?

    thanks.

  2. #2
    SteveM
    Guest

    Re: out of memory problem! what to do for large matrix operations?

    What are you trying to do? Is this really a MATLAB problem? See:

    http://www.mathworks.com/products/ma...ctionlist.html

    SteveM

  3. #3
    MCM

    SteveM wrote:
    > What are you trying to do? Is this really a MATLAB problem? See:
    >
    > http://www.mathworks.com/products/ma...ctionlist.html
    >
    > SteveM

    it is a numerical analysis code include some iterations. At every turn
    for general loop it has to solve a linear equation set. I know that
    some other software can be used but it is important to ose VBA excel
    for this work. i.e. implementation of this kind of problem in VBA excel
    is a part of the work. because some commercial reasons.

    anyway thank you for suggestion.

  4. #4
    SteveM
    Guest

    Re: out of memory problem! what to do for large matrix operations?

    If it's for a commercial app, the MATLAB cost is incidental ($2,000)
    compared to coding a from scratch level of effort.

    An inexpensive alternative is embedding a C coded module into your app.
    See Numerical Recipes in C (60 bucks.) It shows you how to code all
    of the matrix math.

    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/052...lance&n=283155

    Also talk to the algorithm guys at the OR newsgroup. They may be able
    to supply you with references to some open source code for matrix math:

    http://groups.google.com/group/sci.op-research

    SteveM.

  5. #5
    Dana DeLouis
    Guest

    Re: out of memory problem! what to do for large matrix operations?

    Hi. Just an observation. My computer has 2 gigs of memory, and I get the
    same "out of memory" error with this:

    Dim m(1 To 7000, 1 To 7000) As Variant

    When I switched it to Double, I was able to fill the array with numbers.

    Dim m(1 To 7000, 1 To 7000) As Double

    Don't know it that could help. Are you working with a Sparse array, where
    most of the numbers are zero?
    --
    HTH. :>)
    Dana DeLouis