link dynamic data to cell?

  1. #1

    link dynamic data to cell?

    Im not sure if this is the right topic for this question, I apologize if its not.

    I have 3 worksheets in my excel workbook. I enter the same data in 2 of the worksheet by means of a bar code reader. However, as the data is entered into sheet 1, the same data has to be entered into sheet 3, but each time the data changes in sheet 1 I need it to move to another row in sheet 3. Im not sure if this is clear so I will try to make an example here:

    Sheet 1
    Column A

    |Product A|
    |Order number 123|
    |Customer name Bob Smith|

    Sheet 3
    Row 35

    |Product A |Order number 123 |Customer name Bob Smith|

    The data changes in sheet 1 every time I scan the item, so I need something that will take the data from sheet 1 column A and copy it to a new row on sheet 3.

    Does this make sense to anyone? Can it be done?

    Any help would be appreciated.

    *Using an = function wont work because the data changes, and it would change all the data in sheet 3, not just row i need updated.

  2. #2
    Forum Moderator Leith Ross's Avatar
    San Francisco, Ca
    MS-Off Ver
    2000, 2003, & 2010
    Posts
    23,258
    Hello Theguyfromnj,

    Need some clarification on your data. Will the data in column "A" always be entered into the same rows or will new data entered in column "A" simply go down the column?

    Thanks,
    Leith Ross

  3. #3
    Quote Originally Posted by Leith Ross
    Hello Theguyfromnj,

    Need some clarification on your data. Will the data in column "A" always be entered into the same rows or will new data entered in column "A" simply go down the column?

    Thanks,
    Leith Ross
    Each time the data is entered into the same column same rows on sheet "A". The data is entered into row 4,5, and 6 of column A.

  4. #4
    Forum Moderator Leith Ross's Avatar
    San Francisco, Ca
    MS-Off Ver
    2000, 2003, & 2010
    Posts
    23,258
    Hello Theguyfromnj,

    Thank you for the answer. Now that I know what you need I can write the proper macro for you. I won't be able to write it till this evening. Hope that's not to late for you.

    Sincerely,
    Leith Ross

  5. #5
    maybe it is a bit late to mention this but....

    My workbook is set up to use 3 worksheets...

    1st sheet is basic data, cells b3,b4,b5,b6 are used (sales name, sales number, bol #, carrier)
    2nd sheet is another sheet that uses the same exact data (of sheet 1) in cells b19,b20,b22,b23
    3rd sheet uses the same data again but in the next unused row for columns A-B, D-E

    Example:

    Sheet 1

    __|____B______|
    3| Bob Smith |
    4| 1234567 |
    5| 987654 |
    6| 192837 |

    Sheet 3
    _____A_____|_____B_____|____C____|_____D______|_____ E___|
    __Bob Smith|__1234567_|_________|__987654___|__192837__|

    The first 2 sheets clear as old data is over written, but i need the 3rd sheet to keep a running summary of the data that has been going into sheet1 for the entire day. Appending the data from column B of sheet 1 to the next unused row of sheet 3.

    I spoke to my boss about using a macro or form to input the data and he is looking forward to seeing if it works or not. Now I am kinda in a hurry for it.

    I am posting it here because I know people here use excel in a more advanced way than I ever will, and know the best way to move data around with the least amount of keystrokes.

    Thanks again for your help in advance.

    JK
    Last edited by Theguyfromnj; 06-26-2006 at 10:10 PM.

  6. #6

    I thought someone

    Can someone help me with this? I thought someone was going to help me with a macro, but I guess they didn't find the time.

    Someone help?

    JK

  7. #7

    Re: link dynamic data to cell?

    Personally, I try to keep all my data on one sheet. I'd use data|filter or
    data|sort to get views into how the data is categorized.

    If I have to put stuff on other sheets, I'll do all my data entry (whatever
    means necessary), then split the data whenever I need to. It's not automatic
    during data entry, but it can be mechanized.

    You may want to look at the way Ron de Bruin and Debra Dalgleish approached it:

    Ron de Bruin's EasyFilter addin:
    http://www.rondebruin.nl/easyfilter.htm

    Code from Debra Dalgleish's site:

    Create New Sheets from Filtered List -- uses an Advanced Filter to create
    separate sheet of orders for each sales rep visible in a filtered list; macro
    automates the filter. AdvFilterRepFiltered.xls 35 kb

    Update Sheets from Master -- uses an Advanced Filter to send data from
    Master sheet to individual worksheets -- replaces old data with current.
    AdvFilterCity.xls 55 kb

  8. #8

    ok

    Thank you for your reply, but this shreadsheet is used by many in the office, and it is sent to corp at the end of each day, so I can not change the format. All I am looking to do is be able to input the data once and have the data go to the different cells on the different sheets. On the summary sheet, each entry has to advance to the next un-used row, so as not to overwrite the data that already exists.

    The perfect solution to me would be:

    A single form that can be filled out, and have the data copy to the different specified cells, and when being copied to the summary sheet automaticaly advance to the next unused row and paste the data.

    I am not sure if all this can be done. I am sure the form would be easy enough, but the summary sheet is my biggest problem. How do you tell excel to paste data to the next row that doesnt contain data?

  9. #9

    Re: link dynamic data to cell?

    You can use code like this to find the next available row.

    dim NextRow as long
    with worksheets("someworksheetnamehere")
    Nextrow = .cells(.rows.count,"A").end(xlup).row + 1

    .cells(nextrow,"A").value = "whatevergoes here"
    .cells(nextrow,"B").value = "something here, too"
    end with

    If you're going to make this automatic, remember that you'll probably need
    something that deletes data from the worksheet after a typing mistake, and
    changes data in existing rows.

    I've just found it much simpler to regenerate those separate worksheets after
    I've done all my data entry and verified my input.

    Good luck,

  10. #10

    this is good.....

    this is good info, thank you... can i get you to be a little more specific with:

    .cells(nextrow,"A").value = "whatevergoes here"
    .cells(nextrow,"B").value = "something here, too"
    end with

    whatever goes here? whats that mean? can this actually call data from a cell on a certain worksheet like:

    value = "worksheet 3, B:4" ?

    It cant be that easy.

    thanks again.

  11. #11

    Re: link dynamic data to cell?

    worksheets("someworksheetnamehere").cells(nextrow,"A").value _
    = worksheets("sheet3").range("B4").value

    is one way.

  12. #12

    im a moron

    I dont understand any of this. You might as well type this in a different language.

    Im not sure where to go from here. I have not given up, but I am stopped at present and have no clue where to go from here.

    I really do appreciate all the info supplied so far, but excel is not my thing, so I'm sorry but I dont understand much of it.

    JK

  13. #13

    Re: link dynamic data to cell?

    This is code from a macro.

    If you didn't want to use a macro, then the post doesn't belong in the
    ..programming newsgroup.

    If you did want to use a macro, you'll want to read more about them: