VBA Interview Questions

  1. #1
    Neil Kiser
    Guest

    VBA Interview Questions

    Hi,
    There is another group in my organization that is inteviewing consultants
    for a VBA position and I was asked to technically interview these candidates
    because of my VB experience. However, I have no VBA experience whatsoever.

    Was curious if anyone out these might offer up a handful of questions (with
    answers please LOL) that I might ask these candidates. I have to start
    interviewing at 10:30 am central time today (nothign like waiting until the
    last minute) - so if you read this after then no need to respond.

    Thank you very much, and if you have just one question - please offer it if
    you don't mind, I'll just pool questions that I receive. (oh, and this
    is VBA with Excel)

    Thank you!
    -Neil

  2. #2

    Re: VBA Interview Questions

    I don't think I'd go overboard on VBA - they need to know Excel pretty
    well, and they need to be able to program - so standard logic
    questions, and questions like what formulas you would use to do some of
    the work you ACTUALLY need to have done would point you in the right
    direction!

    You might like to use this link though

    http://uk.ask.com/web?q=excel+vba+jo...rc=0&o=&dm=all

  3. #3
    Jim Cone
    Guest

    Re: VBA Interview Questions

    Maybe...
    How/where do they go for help when they have a coding problem?
    Answer... newsgroups, Chip Pearson website, their personal library, other...

    "We have several Excel versions in use in the department.
    Which version would you use to write code?"
    Answer...
    The oldest version but test in all versions.
    (the test in all versions is the important part)
    --
    Jim Cone
    San Francisco, USA

    "Neil Kiser"
    <[email protected]>

  4. #4
    Bob Phillips
    Guest

    Re: VBA Interview Questions

    If you don't know VBA, and the Excel object model, giving you questions is a
    waste of time. How ill you differentiate the wafflers from the
    knowledgeable?

    Bob Phillips

    news:[email protected]...

  5. #5
    Harald Staff
    Guest

    Re: VBA Interview Questions

    Neil

    This situation is harmful both to the people seeking work and to your own
    employer. Shame on you.

    Harald

    "Neil Kiser" <[email protected]> skrev i melding
    news:[email protected]...

  6. #6
    Jim Cone
    Guest

    Re: VBA Interview Questions

    Harald,
    You are right, I should have kept my month shut.
    I had a recent call from an agency seeking an Excel programmer
    and the person knew nothing about Excel.
    Very frustrating and pointless.
    Regards,
    Jim Cone

    news:[email protected]...

  7. #7
    Jim Thomlinson
    Guest

    Re: VBA Interview Questions

    I thought that is what agencies did... ;-) If I had a nickel for every time
    I met with recruiters who either knew nothing about accounting (I am an
    accoutant) and/or knew nothing about Excel (I hold my own in Excel
    programming) I would not have to meet with recuiters any more. I'd be rich...

    If Niel understands VB he should stick with VB questions... Avoid the VBA.
    There is no point asking a question when you can not expect to fully
    understand the answer. Ask about variable declarations, and arrays and
    generic VB stuff. You will get a flavour of the person's abilities.
    --
    HTH...

    Jim Thomlinson